Fish with béchamel !!!! No way I can eat something like that … This was my first reaction when I heard about this from my older sis but then she encouraged me to give it a try. I made it as a surprise dish for my hubby, he was not so excited about it either. But ever since the first time, we almost never had fish fillet another way. It is delicious, healthy, mouth watery …… etc
You will need:
- 6 pieces of fish fillet– any kind
- 3 cups of diced potato
- 1 cup of diced bell pepper– I used red one
- 1/2 cup of cut cilantro
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 2tsp of ground cumin
- 1 medium onion cut
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- salt to taste
For the béchamel sauce you will need:
- 4 Tbs of olive oil
- 3 Tbs of flour – I used whole wheat flour as I did not have an all purpose one in hand
- 3 cups of 2% milk
How to make this yummy:
- In a bowl mix the garlic, oil, cumin and salt together then divide in half. Mix the fish with one part of the previous mixture.
- In another bowl mix the potato, onion, pepper and cilantro together then add the remaining part of the mixture and mix well.
- In a deep oven dish put the vegetable mixture firstthen top with the fillet, bake in a 350 F pre heated oven for about 25 min. Test with a fork to ensure it is done.
- Meanwhile, prepare the béchamel sauce as usual by heating the oil in a saucepan then add the flour, stir it quickly into the oil. This will make a wet mixture, keep on stirring until it is golden then slowly pour the milk and whisk vigorously.
- Get the fish out of the oven and pour the sauce on it, return to the oven for another 15 min. then broil for 3 min. or until it is nice and brown.
I served it with green salad and shrimps with white rice- not shown in the pictures.
Veeeeery yummy. Trust me.