Another nutty flavorful recipe using this heavenly healthy grain, Freekeh.
Moral of the story dear reader, if you are in Colorado, do not sell your home or try to search for another rental because simply you will not find one.
I’m amazed that instead of moving around like crazy trying to find some place for my little family, I have the guts to set and right a post!!. I really need to vent, so please do not hate me for this and give me some room here, will you?
Under such stressful conditions I need something comforting to eat may be a huge chocolate bar or a cake covered with frosting.. the last thing I need is something healthy :). But to my surprise I liked today’s dish and will be on my comfort food list.
I bet my hubby was like” Urgh … she is photographing while we will not have a roof over our heads in a week :): hahaha poor man.
Weather is perfect these days so this dish is very suitable when we are changing weather. I’ve introduced you before to the freekeh soup that is very warming during winter time.
Egyptians use the freeka pilaf to stuff small birds with, mostly pigeons and little chickens, and I highly recommend serving it as a side dish, something healthy to replace rice and pasta.
Here is a short video to show you how to prepare it with Middle Eastern touch :).
- 1 cup of uncooked freeka whole grains.
- 2 Tbs olive oil.
- 1 medium onion.
- 1 large tomato.
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 tsp dried mint leaves- crushed.
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder.
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder.
- 1 tsp salt (more or less depending on your liking)
- Hot water (we will process the tomato and measure them then add hot water or broth until we reach 10oz (1 1/4 cup) of liquid)
- carefully pick freeka looking for inedible things
- wash under cold water
- let it drip
- Cover with water let it soak for 20 -30 minutes
- Cut the onion and process
- do the same for the tomato - I got 6oz of juice DO NOT STRAIN THE JUICE
- Over medium heat, sauté onions
- drain the freeka and add to the pan Stir for 2-3 minutes
- add salt and spices
- add the tomato juice
- Add water or broth to complete the 10 oz liquid
- when it boils, reduce heat and cover
- let it cook until tender and nice almost 20 minutes
So do you have a tip for me to help me out? Do you think it is wise to pay 2K or more for a rental 3 bedrooms or it will be better to try to downsize? and above all DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING IN COLORADO?
Enjoy the rest of the week and please wish us good luck.