Sumac is a very well known spice in the Middle East specially in Al-Sham area – that is Palestine and the nearby countries. It has a desirable tart taste that adds flavor to almost any dish. Today, I substituted the freshly squeezed lemon juice with sumac marinating chicken and vegetables.
So, let’s start
You will need :
- 3 whole cornish chickens – almost 4 pounds- you can substitute with whole chicken,chicken breasts, thighs whatever you have in your fridge.
- 1 large yellow onion minced.
- 1 Tbs of minced garlic cloves.
- 1 c of plain yogurt.
- 1 Tbs of dried rosemary.
- 1 Tbs smoked paprika.
- 1 Tbs of minced sumac.
- 1/4 c of olive oil.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl without the chicken, mix well, then rub the chicken pieces inside out and under the skin without totally taking it off. Let it set for 2 hours at least in your refrigerator.
- I’ve also added sumac to some olive oil along with salt and pepper and mixed with some freshly cut vegetables. Grill the chicken and vegetables until done.
- I like grilling cornish chicken as it is usually tender and cooks thoroughly more than big ones.