Reggi is watermelon in the gulf area specially Iraq and Kuwait.. this super easy preserve is made from watermelon peel !! so it is a real something from nothing as Karen says.
Are you following what is going on in Iraq?!! This is crazy don’t you think so? It has been crazy over there since the 2003 war . I have some friends there telling me that Iraqi people have not find peace since the war. Now, with what’s going on there, I feel there has been great efforts to wipe up this beautiful country’s history and heritage.
Food was and will always be part of any country’s heritage and Iraq is not difference. I wish there is a better way that I can help people there, but for now I only have this way to help them keep their food heritage and their identity from being theft. In the face of this increasing danger it is sort of FIGHTING FEAR WITH FOOD.
I should have joined the others over at the MENA cooking club today for a Lebanese cuisine journey, but I was too late.
Here is a video to show you how to make this recipe. Enjoy the rest of the week.
- 4 cups of prepared watermelon rinds.
- 1- 2 cups of sugar - depending on your liking, I've used 1 1/4 cups.
- Juice from 1/2 lime and zest. or
- Dash of vanilla.
- 4 whole cloves.
- Cinnamon stick.
- To prepare the rinds, first trim the green part
- Use a sharper knife but take care
- It is ok to leave some of the red flesh
- Then dice into smaller pieces
- Cover with water
- Cook on medium until it boils then reduce heat
- until rinds are translucent
- checking and stirring often
- Until soft and check the water level
- Add the flavors of your choice
- I've also added drops of lime juice
- Add the sugar
- Let it dissolve on low until thickened
- Prepare and sterilize jars
- After filling the jars, turn them upside down
- for 10-15 minutes to seal