Use up winter squash in this festive butternut squash casserole with pecan oat streusel, a terrific dessert that is a crowd pleaser and kid friendly with its candy like topping.
Try this baked butternut squash casserole recipe as a dessert this Thanksgiving, it is an easy and straightforward recipe that does not require much of your precious time in the kitchen. This dish can be made ahead and frozen which will make your life easier specially if you are hosting.
We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Egypt, but it is one of the most happy festive days here for us in the US. You see, it is almost one of the rare holidays we can safely celebrate as Muslims – or at least from my point of view- as far as I know it is more of a historical holiday than a religious one.
Usually we gather with our Egyptian friends here and make turkey usually accompanied by roasted nutty rice and/or rice stuffed veggies or stuffed onions. Most of us do not have families here, so we try to take advantage of any holidays to gather and have fun and for the kids to have their special social life away from schools.
I’ve made this dish to my little family and everyone liked it specially my kiddos who did not resist the sweet fresh smell of cinnamon, brown sugar and nuts, it really smelled heavenly.
I hope you’ll give this sweet dessert a try and I am sure you’ll not be disappointed… Until next recipe have a great weekend.
Sweet Butternut Squash Casserole
- 2 lb peeled and diced squash.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- A dash of vanilla powder or vanilla extract.
- 1 can evaporated milk. 5oz
- 4 Tablespoon butter.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
For the topping
- 1/2 cup oats.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- 1/4 cup pecan chopped.
- 2 Tablespoon butter melted.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- On a large pot over medium-high mix squash and sugar, cook until fork tender.
- In your blender, blend eggs, butter, milk and vanilla.
- Add the all the spices and mix.
- Add the squash gradually and mix. Pour the squash mixture in a 9 in round oven dish and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the topping ingredients in a deep bowl.
- Sprinkle on top of the casserole then return to oven for 10 more minutes.
- Let it cool down before serving... Enjoy!!
Need more desserts? check out the desserts section.
Meanwhile here are some squash recipes👇