A good for you twist to the traditional moussaka recipe. Less calories and much less carbs, which makes it the perfect candidate for your rotation. Easy and requires no special cooking skills, 30 minutes and dinner is ready.
Middle Eastern Moussaka
Egyptian Mousakaa primarily consists of layers of deep-fried eggplant rings with flavored minced meat. Many people like adding fried potato to the eggplant as well, topping it with golden bechamel sauce is not Egyptian but highly appreciated. If you like eggplants you'll truly love this dish.
I would like to thank all of you for your support and deep love that you've surrounded me with during this hard time of grief. You are all such wonderful friends and a true blessing. My good friend Henna encouraged me to keep doing what my dad taught me, and you know what? he loved to cook so much and oh boy, he was just the perfect taster, who can easily detect what is missing in a recipe. I love you, my mentor, and for sure will miss your beautiful smile forever.
My dad was obsessed with eggplants, especially the Egyptian Moussaka, he could not stand a week without it, but he had developed a weak heart as he got older, so I was doing my homework trying to reach a healthier recipe for his beloved dish.
In this easy moussaka recipe I skipped frying the eggplants, making it in a boat like shape filled it with ground meat which was previously browned with onions. Skipped bechamel sauce and potato and was satisfied with only tomato sauce.
This is like cheesy eggplant pizza so, I've used low-fat mozzarella cheese to top the eggplant boats but you can use any of your favorite cheese or skip this step altogether. If you love eggplant parmesan, you can add some parmesan cheese on top as well.
Tips and tricks
- Try to use smaller eggplants. Japanese and Italian varieties work the best with this recipe.
- Use any sort of ground meat you like, beef, lamb, turkey or a combination.
- Do not peel eggplants as their skin is so nutritious and it actually holds the eggplant together.
- Do not throw away the scooped pulp, either mix it with the ground meat mixture and stuff back into the boats or broil them to make some baba Ganoush.
- Reheat any leftovers in the microwave or cover and reheat in the oven until bubbly.
- Zucchini boats with ground beef is a delicious, hearty, and healthy dinner that can be served over rice or with bread. It's a wonderful low-carb dish the whole family will love!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
Light Moussaka recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 medium onion diced.
- 1 pound ground beef. Note1
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- ½ teaspoon allspice.
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 or more eggplants.
- 2 cups (16oz) tomato sauce. Note2
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese- I used low fat mozzarella.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add oil then saute onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add the ground beef breaking it apart to brown.
- Add spices, salt, tomato paste and half the tomato sauce.
- Mix everything well and leave it to cook for 5 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, cut each eggplant lengthwise in half.
- Scoop the flesh with a spoon, core the eggplant halves to the desired thickness preferably ½ inch thickness.
- Sprinkle each eggplant half with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the eggplants with the meat mixture and put in your oven dish.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce over your stuffed eggplants.
- Put in a 350F preheated oven for 15 minutes or until almost done.
- Take it out and sprinkle with the cheese, stick it again in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Note2: You can also make this with store bought or homemade marinara sauce. Serve with pita bread, rice or with a side of salad. Nutrition values are calculated using about 1 teaspoon of pink salt.
Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.