A savory pumpkin dish with a hint of sweetness, only for pumpkin lovers who would eat pumpkin anyways.
When I was little girl, I could not stand pumpkins although we only knew one pumpkin recipe, still I could not get along with it. After marriage, my husband tasted the pumpkin bechamel at my aunt’s house and immediately fell in love – with the dish ;-).
This encouraged me to try my hands making AND EATING this dish, so after being married for almost 7 years I decided ‘ok, the man likes going to my aunt’s house specially to eat from the bechamel pumpkin thing, I should make it at home’ and came my first attempt which was a total failure, but did I give up? of course no.
I’ve tried second, third and fourth time until I mastered the dish and actually liked it more than my hubby!! It is really amazing how our taste buds change over time, I remember when I first landed on the US, I could not even stand the smell of a teriyaki or orange chicken and now… guess what ?
So turning from a hater to a lover for the bechamel recipe, I’ve decided to go wild with pumpkins, first I’ve tried the jam which was super for me and a so so for my husband. Now I’ve made a savory, simple and easy dish with pumpkins.
At first, I did not like it much but- because I already knew how things go with me – after a couple of times I got used to it and to my surprise, my husband really liked it from the first trial!!! strange.
So the bottom line is, try it.. why not? for a change, make this easy, less than 30 minutes, side dish and see if you’ll like it.
Now let me show you how to prepare this savory pumpkin dish…. Have a safe Halloween.
Savory pumpkin dish
- 2 c diced pumpkin.
- 1 medium onion diced.
- 1 large bell pepper any color diced.
- 2 medium tomatoes diced.
- 2 Tbs olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom- optional.
- Parsley for garnishing.
- In a non stick pan,add the oil, swirl to coat.
- Saute onions for 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the bell pepper and stir for another 4 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the tomato, stir for a couple of minutes then add the pumpkin cubes.
- Season with salt,pepper and ground cardamom.
- If the juices are not enough, you may want to add a 1/4 cup of water to help the pumpkin cook.
- When it boils, reduce the hear and keep an eye on it until it is done.
- Check the pumpkin with a fork for doneness.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy.