A saucy zucchini casserole fragranced with fresh herbs and garlic. Omit ground meat to make it vegan.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil.
- 1 medium (170g) onion, chopped.
- 1 pound (454g) ground meat.
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 pounds (908g) zucchini, sliced.
- 2 (208g)Roma tomatoes , cubed.
- 1/2 cup (23g) fresh dill, chopped and divided. Note1
- 1/3 cup (20g) fresh parsley, chopped.
- 1 garlic clove crushed.
- 1/3 cup (72ml) water or chicken stock.
- 1 can (15oz/425g) tomato sauce.
In a skillet over medium heat, add oil then sauté onion until translucent.
Add ground beef and break apart. Stir in all spice, pepper and salt and cook until beef is browned.
Pre heat your oven to 350F.
In a 13x9 oven dish add zucchini, ground beef, half the dill and the rest of the ingredients, check for seasonings.
Cover and place the dish in the middle rack in your oven until almost done about 45 minutes.
Uncover, mix in the rest of the dill, cover and bake again for 15 more minutes until all done and bubbly.
You might want to uncover and place in the upper third of your oven for 10 more minutes to reduce sauce or you can put it under a broiler.
Serve with white rice or pita bread.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3.3g21%
Vitamin A 2850IU57%
Vitamin C 39.9mg48%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 236.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.1g | Protein: 18.1g | Saturated Fat: 3.3g | Cholesterol: 46.7mg | Sodium: 429.1mg | Potassium: 701.6mg | Fiber: 4.2g | Sugar: 7.9g | Vitamin A: 2850IU | Vitamin C: 39.9mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 3.9mg