Chicken Shawarma Fatteh Recipe
Chicken Shawarma and rice bowl, fate shawarma is one of the best comfort food you’ll ever get. Seasoned chicken, fragrant rice combined with crunchy pita bread… seriously the best.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Servings: 7 people
For the chicken marinade:
- 1/2 cup (120g) plain yogurt.
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder.
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves about 1 teaspoon.
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric.
- 1 teaspoon paprika.
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1/4 cup white vinegar.
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces.
For cooking the chicken:
- 2 Tablespoon butter.
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 large (175g) onion chopped.
- 1 cube chicken bouillon.
- 1 red bell pepper.
- 1 green bell pepper.
- 2 teaspoon salt or to taste.
For the rice:
- 2 cups (400g) Basmati rice washed and soaked for 15 minutes.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 4 cups chicken broth or water.
- Salt to taste.
- 3 Lebanese pita bread cut into squares.
- Olive oil spray.
Quick yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise.
- 1 cup full fat yogurt.
- 2 large garlic cloves minced.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
In a deep bowl, combine the marinade ingredients and mix well.
Add chicken pieces then toss to cover with the marinade. Cover and set aside
In a pot or rice cooker, melt butter, add cardamom and turmeric then stir for 10 seconds.
Add rice and mix everything well, add salt and cooking liquid.
Bring to a boil then lower heat and cover until done.
Toast the bread:
Preheat oven to 400F.
Spray a baking sheet or line the baking sheet with parchment paper, spread bread squares over and spray with oil.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes turning them once in the middle.
Finish the chicken:
In a big non-stick skillet on medium heat, add butter and oil then stir in the bouillon cube for about 20 seconds.
Sauté onion with until translucent then raise heat to high. Take the chicken out of the marinade and add to the skillet.
Keep stirring the chicken until most of the liquids evaporate and chicken starts to look done.
Add chopped bell peppers and season with salt.
Reduce heat and cook for another 4-5 minutes until everything is well cooked.
Make the yogurt sauce:
In a medium bowl, combine sauce ingredients and adjust salt to your liking.
To assemble the dish:
In a large platter, add rice and arrange toasted bread on the sides. Note1
Top with chicken mixture and drizzle yogurt sauce on top.
Note1: Fatteh is usually assembled by placing the toasted bread then top it with rice, however this way makes the bread gets soggy quickly so I prefer either top the rice with the bread then top the bread with chicken and serve immediately or arrange the bread on the side as I did here.
Chicken Shawarma Fatteh Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9.1g57%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.8g
Monounsaturated Fat 14.7g
Vitamin A 15.3IU0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 501.2kcal | Fat: 29.3g | Saturated Fat: 9.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14.7g | Cholesterol: 173.1mg | Potassium: 160.1mg | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 3.1g | Vitamin A: 15.3IU | Iron: 8.2mg