Servings: 6 people
The ultimate after school snack or game day appetizer.
For the stuffing:
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 pound chicken/turkey/Italian sausage.
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh spinach chopped.
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 oz cream cheese.
- 1/2-3/4 cup parmesan cheese.
For the bites:
- 1 loaf of bread cubed with edges removed.
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt powder.
- 5 teaspoon cornstarch.
- 1 cup water.
- 1 egg beaten with a dash of black pepper.
- 1 cup of bread crumbs.
- Oil for frying.
Make the bites dough:
In your food processor pulse the bread to fine grain.
Combine starch and water, stir until there is no lumps.
Add the water to the bread and knead with your hand to form sort of dough.
Make the stuffing:
Heat olive oil in a non stick pan, add the sausage crumble and brown for almost 4-5 minutes.
Add the spinach, parsley, salt and pepper and cook for another minutes.
Turn off the heat and let it cool for 15 minutes then add the cream cheese and the parmesan cheese, stir to combine.
Take a small portion of the dough, fill with about two teaspoons of the filling, close and roll to shape into a ball. *
Pop the balls in the freezer for 30-45 minutes until it holds its shape.**
Heat oil over medium-low, dip the balls in the beaten egg then cover completely with the breadcrumbs and fry.
Let it cool a bit after frying and enjoy with some pizza sauce.
* I made 24 balls out of the dough. Also I filled mine with almost 1 Tablespoon of the filling as I like it fully loaded and in some of the balls I added more mozzarella cheese.
** This step is optional but it is recommended if you are using a lot of cheese inside.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors