Servings: 27 rolls
A nice spin to the traditional authentic baklava, easy, portioned and freezer friendly.
- 1 cup roasted unsalted pistachios meat.
- 1 -2 teaspoons orange blossom water*.
- 3 Tablespoons simple syrup.**
- 1/2 1lb package of phyllo dough, about 18 sheets.
- 1/2 cup melted butter.
For the Simple syrup:
- 1 cup sugar.
- 1/2 cup water.
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice.
- 1/4 cup honey.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.***
Make the syrup:
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine syrup ingredeints until it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Set aside to cool completely.
Assemble the rolls:
Preheat oven to 320F
On a clean working surface, take two phyllo sheets out, brush lightly by melted butter. Spoon about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the filling and form a log on the short side of the sheet and roll all the way through.
Brush the finished roll with more butter and place in a baking sheet.
Bake in oven until top is golden brown, about 40 minutes depending on your oven.
Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of simple syrup over and let it cool completely, preferable overnight if you can.
Take phyllo cigars out, cut into 2 or 4 equal parts.
Serve and enjoy!.
* Adding orange blossom water is optional, you can add rose water or any other flavors as described in the post above. You can also leave it plain, it is totally your choice.
** You can also use honey or corn syrup instead.
*** Adding vanilla extract is optional to flavor the syrup, you can also add a stick of cinnamon.
Please note: Calories are calculated based on 27 servings and with 1/2 cup of simply syrup added.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors