A traditional Egyptian breakfast dish that can be prepared in so many different ways. Learn how to make your own Fun Medammes and ditch the cans.
Servings: 4 pounds
- 2 1/2 cups dry fava beans 1 pound
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dry rice any kind and uncooked
- 2 Tablespoons dry red lentils uncooked
- 1 Roma tomato quartered
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2-2 liter boiled water
Place fave beans, rice and lentils in a fine mesh colander and wash under running water.
Place them in your slow cooker.
Add dice tomatoes and garlic.
Pour boiled water, cover the pot with a piece of aluminum foil then place the lid on.
Set the slow cooker to low for 4-5 hours.
Check after two hours to make sure water level is ok and it is not drying out.
When 3 hours passed take the lid and the aluminum foil off and stir in the baking powder, be aware that the baking powder will bubble and fizz.
Put the lid on again and continue to cook for another hour or tow until it is fully cooked and soft.
- Baking powder is added to soften the outer shell of the beans, this is especially necessary for dry fava beans sold in the US market. You can add the baking powder at the beginning of cooking when using a slow cooker, but this is not the case when using an instant pot.
- You can use either big or small fava beans but small is the traditional one to use.
- IP directions:
- Place the ingredients in your instant pot (washed fava beans, rice, lentils, tomatoes and garlic) and cover with water.
- Place the lid on, seal the valve and pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure, mix in baking powder then pressure cook again for another 30 minutes.
- Let it naturally release the pressure for 20 minutes then do a quick release.
- If you feel the beans are not cooked to your liking or the skin is still not soft enough, mix in another 1/2 teaspoon and some boiling water if needed then press sauté option for 10 more minutes.
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 110mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 132IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 1mg