A delicious poached eggs in flavorful tomato sauce for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil. Note1
- 1 large (250g) onion, diced.
- 1 large bell (200g) pepper, any color. Diced
- 1 Chili pepper chopped. Optional. Note2
- 2 garlic cloves. Note3
- 2 1/2 cup ( 5 tomatoes Roma (277g)) tomato chopped.
- 2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro.
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon paprika sweet or smoked.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- A dash of black pepper.
- 4 Large eggs.
- Feta crumbled, Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnishing.
In a cast iron or a non stick pan over medium heat add oil.
Add onion and sauté for two minutes.
Add garlic, bell pepper and hot Chili pepper, if using, and sauté for another minute.
Add the tomato and mix in all the spices until well combined.
Simmer until tomato juices evaporate.
Mix in chopped cilantro and parsley.
Make four holes in the pan and crack an egg in each hole.
Cover and let the egg poach on low to your liking about 3-5 minutes. Note4
Notes1: You may use butter, ghee or basically any type of fat you like.
Note2: Substitute cayenne pepper or harissa if you would like or leave it out.
Note3: You may add up to 4 garlic cloves but I find it too much for breakfast.
Note4: Cook for less time for runny yolks.
Serve with bread for breakfast. As a dinner, would be better served over a carb such as rice or mashed potatoes
Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Calories: 163.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.3g | Protein: 8.7g | Fat: 8.7g | Saturated Fat: 2.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4.3g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 116.7mg | Potassium: 538.1mg | Fiber: 3.3g | Sugar: 7.5g