Authentic shish tawook recipe from the Middle East. An easy skewered chicken recipe for a delicious weeknight dinner.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 8 garlic cloves crushed.
- 1/2 cup yogurt.
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard.
- 3 Tablespoons Lime juice about one and a half lime.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar.
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1 1/4 teaspoon pink salt or to taste. you can use regular table salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon 7 spice blend.
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste.
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cubed.
- Cubed Bell pepper for threading in skewers with chicken.
In a large bowl combine everything except for the chicken and bell pepper. Mix well.
Add the chicken, toss to coat well, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
Preheat oven to 400F.
Thread chicken and bell pepper into bamboo skewers.
Grill or place skewers on grilling pan and bake in the middle of your oven for 20-25 minutes then move up to the upper level for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- It is better for this recipe to use regular full fat yogurt and not Greek yogurt.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours but overnight is best.
- Adding cubed bell pepper and sometimes onions adds beauty to the skewers, besides charred bell pepper and onions tastes very good.
- After grilling the tawook it is better to place it on a plate and cover with a tented foil to keep it from drying out.
- Shish Taouk is better consumed in the same day but if you have leftovers place them in a container with a tight lid. When you are ready to use heat them up covered with foil briefly in your oven.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 148mg | Sodium: 858mg | Potassium: 977mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 183IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg