Mahalabia (Middle Eastern Milk Pudding)
Mahalabia is a delicious middle eastern dessert or snack with only 4 ingredients. This simple milk pudding is a delicious sweet end to any meal.
Servings: 5 servings
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100g or to taste
- 6 Tablespoons cornstarch 60g
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For garnishing: dried fruits, nuts, edible flowers or ground cinnamon
In a saucepan add milk, sugar and cornstarch.
Whisk everything together on cold, until the sugar and cornstarch dissolve.
Heat the mixture on medium, keep on stirring while it heats up until it bubbles and thickens.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract or your flavoring extract.
Let it cool down slightly, then pour into individual dessert glasses or onto a big serving bowl.
Cool down to room temperature for abbot 30 minutes on your countertop.
Refrigerate for an hour to set.
Garnish with nuts or dried fruits before serving.
- Mix cornstarch with the milk while it is cold, do not heat up the milk.
- Keep stirring while mixture is heating up so it will be smooth and silky.
- I like like eating Mahalabia warm and sometimes hot, but this is just me. The traditional way to serve it is chilled.
- Garnish Mahalabia with cinnamon, nuts, raisins or serve plain.
- You can substitute heavy whipping cream for part of milk with a 1:1 ration for extra richness.
- Some people used to add 3-4 tablespoons of table cream, others use butter to add richness to the Mahalabia.
- I've also tried making Mahalabia with a mixture of flour and cornstarch but really I like this simple one better and this is what I was brought up with. So you may experiment with that as well.
- You may flavor Mahalabia with anything you like. Orange blossom water, rose water, cinnamon, ground cardamom are the most used.
- You can pour it in a big oven dish and put it under the broiler to get a nice caramelized layer on the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days. It might forma a thin layer on the top, but this is totally normal.
- Please note if you refrigerate nut garnished milk pudding the nuts will get softer as they stay in the fridge.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 86mg | Potassium: 264mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 321IU | Calcium: 224mg | Iron: 1mg