Easy Almond Brittle
An easy and delicious candy for the holidays. Works great for gifting or a delicious snack or after dinner sweet nibble.
Servings: 20 Pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sliced raw almond
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon butter , unsalted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Line a 13x9 baking sheet with a foil and brush with little butter or use oil spray.
In a microwave safe bowl add sugar, corn syrup and salt. You do not need to mix them.
Microwave on high for 6 minutes stirring every 2 minutes scrapping the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Mix in the rest of the ingredients, then microwave for 2 minutes stirring in the middle.
Add the baking soda and mix well, you will notice that the mixture will be bubbly and the color will get lighter.
Carefully spread the mixture in a 13x9 lined baking sheet. Use the back of a spoon to spread approximately to ¼ of an inch thickness. Let it cool and set for 45 minutes. Break apart with your hands.
- Be extra careful when making this recipe as the bowl and it’s ingredients will be very hot. Do not leave kids alone handling this recipe.
- Use a large enough bowl as after adding the baking soda it will foam up and might spill if the bowl is small.
- Overflowing boiling candies are dangerous and clean up is a pain, so keep your eyes on the brittle as they are in the microwave. If you notice that the mixture is rising and going to spill, stop the microwave immediately mix things together and continue with the recipe.
- To clean the bowl place it in the kitchen sink and fill it up with warm water. We packed them in a small cello goodie bags with cute patterns for the teachers.
- To store: Place in an airtight container, no need to refrigerate unless it is steaming hot.
- Feel free to increase the amount of the cinnamon to your liking, leave it out altogether or use anything else for flavoring your brittle.
- Use whatever nut or nut mixture you have. Peanuts, hazelnuts, smoked whole almonds or whatever you like.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 80mg | Potassium: 86mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg