A warm blend of spices mixed with ground beef, onion, garlic and parsley to create this easy dinner perfect for busy weeknights.
Servings: 15 pieces
- 1 1/3 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 3 teaspoon 7 spice blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for shaping
In the food processor place onions, garlic and process until finely chopped.
Add spice and give it a quick turn to mix well.
Add ground beef and parsley then mix until it forms something like a soft ball.
Preheat oven to 350F. Place a rack in the middle and another one at the top third of your oven.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Moisten the handle of a wooden spoon or a chopstick and the palm of your dominant hand with oil.
Hold the spoon with your dry hand and take a ball, about 2 tablespoons, of the meat mixture in your other hand.
Press against the handle and form the kafta around it.
Take it out of the handle and place on the baking tray.
Proceed the same way until you are done with the rest of the mixture.
Cover the tray with aluminum foil and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 10 minutes then uncover and bake in the upper rack for 5-7 minutes.
Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
- This spice mixture is going to give your kafta a delicious taste so I highly encourage you to use them all.
- If you have a good non stick baking sheet there is no need to line with foil.
- To store: Store leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat covered in a skillet.
- Make ahead:
- You can freeze the meat mixture then thaw and proceed with the recipe as is when you are ready to use.
- Another option which I always do is shape the kafta and freeze on a tray until hard. Place them after that in an airtight freezer container or a zip lock bag.
- Bake directly from frozen, no need to thaw, just give them a couple of more minutes in the oven.
- Grilling instructions: I like baking kafta in oven for 10 minutes covered then finish them off on the grill. This makes them much more easier to handle.
- Air fryer instructions:
- Recently I love making kafta in air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 400F and air fry for 6-8 minutes.
- Each air fryer is different and I highly recommend that you check the kafta starting at 5 minutes.
- When making multiple batches in the air fryer reduce the time by 1 minute starting the second batch.
- Serve with:
Calories: 61kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 182mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg