A delicious vegan rice and lentil dish perfect for a meatless weeknight dinner.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 cup brown lentils soaked in boiling water
- 4 Tablespoons oil
- 2 yellow onion sliced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ to 3 cups boiling water
Rinse lentils, drain and place in a big bowl then cover with hot water. Let lentils soak for 30 minutes to one hour.
In a deep pot over medium-high heat, fry sliced onions in oil until golden brown, remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels. (10 minutes)
In the same pot sauté the chopped onions until browned, add in rice and stir to coat rice with oil.
Drain lentils and add them in the pot with cumin and salt, stir to combine.
Add hot water, mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until cooked.
Serve mujadara topped with crispy onions.
- Any type of rice will work in this recipe.
- You can also use brown rice but adjust the water level accordingly.
- Use any oil you have but olive oil is more traditional.
- Some people like to add freshly ground black pepper or a dash of cinnamon too.
- Start with 2 ½ cups of water and check the doneness of the mixture. For a softer mixture, up the water to 3 cups.
Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
- Place any leftover mujadara in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 5 days.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Sodium: 588mg | Potassium: 432mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 3mg