Coffee cupcake with mocha frosting
A super easy recipe for coffee cupcakes to please the adults in your home.
Servings: 24 cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour sifted.
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1 cup light tasting oil vegetable oil works great.
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 8-ounce container sour cream room temperature.
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the coffee frosting
- 2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cup confectioners sugar
- 4 Tablespoons instant coffee.*
- 2 Tablespoon cocoa powder.*
- 3-4 teaspoon of water.
For the raspberry filling
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup of raspberry preserve.
- Optional : Fresh raspberries for decoration.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda well together.
Add the oil and the brewed coffee. Mix until everything is very well combined.
Mix in eggs and vanilla extract.
Fold in the sour cream.
Pour the batter into 24 muffin tins, fill 2/3 of each cup.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or do the spring test.
Meanwhile prepare the frosting
Dissolve coffee and cocoa powder in the water.
Beat butter until fluffy then add sugar and coffee mixture and beat until well mixed.
Fill the cupcakes with the raspberry filling , I've used Wilton tip #230.
Pipe the frosting and decorate your cupcakes.
Top each cupcake with raspberry or sprinkles of choice.
- You can use instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder as well
- To get a stronger coffee flavor in your frosting you may use 6 Tablespoons of instant coffee and do not use cocoa powder at all, for a more chocolate-y flavor use 4 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and 2 Tablespoon of instant coffee.
- When making the espresso buttercream frosting make sure that it is at room temperature. Take it out on the countertop 20-30 minutes before using.
- Make sure to cool the cupcakes completely before filling and decorating.
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 146mg | Potassium: 108mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 510IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg