Chocodate - chocolate covered dates
A delicious treat from Dubai that is very popular during the holy month of Ramadan
Servings: 24 pieces
- 3 oz (80gm) high quality dark chocolate.*
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
- 24 Dates .
- 24 almond pieces.
- For more decoration
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips.
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil.
Make a double broiler by filling a small pot with about an inch of water and bring to a simmer.
Place a small bowl over the pot and make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
Add the chocolate chunks and the oil and let that melt slowly stirring constantly.
Cut a slit in each date and remove the pit. Stuff with almonds/nuts and close the date over.
Using two forks, drop the dates in the melted chocolate, roll to cover, then take the date out and carefully shake off any excess chocolate.
Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow them to set for 5 minutes on your counter and then pop them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare your garnish by melting the white chocolate with the oil again over a double broiler.
Take the chocodate out and garnish with ribbons of white chocolate, pop again in the freezer for more 5 minutes to set completely.
- You can use whatever chocolate you like but we did not like it covered in white chocolate. Me and my husband liked the dark chocolate better while the kids liked the milk chocolate.
- Although dates are traditionally stuffed with almonds for this recipe, pecan and walnuts goes great with this recipe as well.
- You can also use a nut combination so you might try pistachios, hazelnuts.. etc.
- You might want to try using nut butter as well but in this case you will need to freeze the stuffed dates before you roll them in melted chocolate so the nut butter will not ooze out.
- These work great with Arabic coffee or cardamom tea.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Calories: 59kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg