Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini
A cheesy chicken tetrazzini casserole with juicy chicken and creamy homemade sauce. Use shortcuts mentioned for a quick and easy dinner.
Servings: 8 servings
For the Chicken:*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- Juice of half a lemon.
- 2 Large garlic cloves crushed.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. about 1.5 pounds.
For the white sauce:
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 8 Tablespoons flour.
- 1 1/2 cups milk.
- 1 cup heavy cream.
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese shredded or diced.
- 4 oz white cheddar cheese shredded or diced.
- 4 oz Colby cheese shredded or diced.
- 12 oz linguine pasta.
Bake the chicken:
In a medium bowl combine, oil, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper and mix well.
Add Chicken breasts and toss them around to coat well, if you have time cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or else let them set until the oven is ready.
Preheat your oven to 450F. Place chicken on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes until chicken no longer pink or the internal temperature is 165F at the thickest part of the chicken.
Set aside to cool and slice.
While chicken is baking:
Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente , rinse with cold water and set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
In a pot over medium heat, melt butter with oil then add flour and whisk until lightly golden.
Pour in the milk, cream and stock whisking the mixture until it comes to a smooth consistency, adjust salt and pepper.
Assemble and bake:
Pre heat oven to 350F.
In a 13x9 inch baking dish combine pasta, cheese and diced chicken.
Pour in the sauce evenly over the pasta.
Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture becomes bubbly and a little golden on the sides.
Let it cool down and bit, plate and serve with a side salad.
- Make sure to cook the pasta al dente as it will continue to cook while the dish is in the oven. Take it out a couple of minutes before the suggested time on package.
- Sometimes I use 2 pounds of chicken breasts instead of 1.5 so you can adjust that to your liking.
- You can add a bit of ground nutmeg to the sauce for extra flavor.
- We liked using cubed cheese because when melted it created pockets of cheese among the pasta which tasted marvelous. For a more evenly distributed cheese use shredded.
- Shortcuts for busy people: If you do not have time you can always use the following as shortcuts:
- Rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe shred it or buy it shredded or cut into pieces.
- Combine a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of chicken soup in a bowl with melted butter, olive oil and 2 cups of chicken broth for the sauce.
- To Make Ahead:
- Bake the chicken and cook the pasta then mix in cheese and place everything on the baking dish you are going to use then refrigerate.
- Make the sauce and refrigerate in a separate container.
- When ready to bake pour the sauce over and bake as directed.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3-4 days. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to two months.
- Serve with:
- You can add frozen peas, cooked mushrooms, any frozen vegetables you like as a way to add to the nutritional values of the dish.
Calories: 637kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 710mg | Potassium: 439mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1087IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 361mg | Iron: 2mg