Taco tater tots casserole
Delicious and easy one pan meal for busy weeknight and great for potluck too. Tater tot taco casserole is a flavorful and kid friendly meal that everyone will love.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 Tablespoons oil.
- 1 small onion diced.
- 2 garlic cloves crushed.
- 1 lb ground beef.
- 1 (1 oz) package taco seasoning mix.
- 1 (4 oz) can Chopped Green Chiles.
- 1 (15 oz) can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained.
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese.
- 1 (28 oz) package frozen tater tots.
- 1 (10 oz) can Red Enchilada Sauce.
In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add beef and cook until no longer pink.
Drain the fat then return to stove top.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Add the green chiles, taco seasoning mix, enchilada sauce, beans, and 2 cups of the cheese. Stir together to combine.
Arrange tater tots on top of the mixture in a single layer.
Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until tater tots are nice and crispy. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top and place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Top with olives, cilantro, when serving if using.
- If you do not have a cast iron, prepare in a skillet then pour mixture into the prepared 9x13 pan.
- I like to use a cast iron skillet as it gets the job done on stove top and the oven.
- If you do not have taco seasoning, you can season the ground beef with a couple of teaspoons of chili powder.
- Store any leftover in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
- Make Ahead:
- Assemble the casserole in the baking dish, double wrap with foil and freeze. When ready to use, take it out and bake as directed just give it some extra oven time.
- You can also bake the dish, wait for it to completely cool then wrap with foil and freeze. To enjoy, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 352mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 294IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 296mg | Iron: 1mg