Green Bean Casserole, Greek Style
Mediterranean green beans casserole with tender green beans and creamy potatoes. A great side dish to add to your menu. One of the traditional Greek recipes that is all over the Mediterranean region. Vegan and gluten free too!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + extra for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion diced.
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced.
- 2 teaspoon dry oregano.
- 1 1/4 cup hot water.
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans cut and trimmed, can use frozen.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes.
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste.
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil.
Preheat oven to 300F.
In an oven safe large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium until shimmering.
Saute onions until softened and translucent about 4-5 minutes.
Add garlic and oregano until fragrant.
Add water, beans and potatoes.
Bring to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
Stir in diced tomato, tomato paste, salt and pepper and mix everything well.
Place pot in oven and cook for about 45 minutes.
Stir in lemon juice.
Transfer to serving dish, garnish with basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
- When using fresh green beans choose bright and firm beans that snaps easily.
- You can also use frozen beans for this recipe.
- You can use tomato sauce or canned peeled whole tomato as well.
- Try to cut potatoes in equal size so they cook evenly.
- Russet potatoes do not work well in this recipe.
- Sometimes people add fresh dill to this dish as well.
- This dish was a big hit in my little family and rarely are there left-overs. This recipe fills a big 13×9 Pyrex dish (party size!) But, you can easily scale it down for your needs.
- Use chicken stock or broth instead of water for a non vegan dish.
- Add some cooked beef cubes for a whole meal.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for up to five days.
- Serve with:
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 761mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 992IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 3mg