A pretty, colorful vegan Mediterranean chickpea salad for a filling lunch or as a side dish to your grilled meats. Mediterranean chickpea salad in 10 min.
Servings: 6 cups
For the salad:
- 1 canned chickpeas (15.5 oz) drained and washed.
- 1 cup red onion diced.
- 1 1/3 cup cucumber diced.
- 1 1/2 cup tomato diced.
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced.
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped.
For the dressing:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 Tablespoon dry mint
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to your liking.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper optional
In a bowl, combine veggies and set aside.
In an empty jar combine salad dressing ingredients and shake well to combine.
Pour dressing over veggies and toss to coat everything well.
Let it set for 30 minutes in the fridge before serving.
- Persian cucumbers work the best for this recipe. They have thin skin and small seeds which make them better than any other.
- Ripe tomatoes are best used for this recipe, you can use cherry or grape tomatoes as well.
- Make ahead:
- This Mediterranean chickpea salad is great for make ahead side dish. Cut the veggies, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 6-8 hours. Pour dressing over and mix before serving preferably by 30 minutes.
- Leftover chickpea salad can stay in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, drain any excess juices if you would prefer to.
- Swap out the veggies: this recipe is so versatile, you can use any sort of onions instead of red onions, any bell pepper or spice it up and use jalapeño peppers.
- You may consider adding one or more of these ingredients to play with the recipe more : feta cheese, tofu, tuna or black olives.
- Serve with :
- This salad makes a great meatless or vegan meal just add some freshly baked pita bread or flatbread crackers.
- Works great as a side with grilled meat like shish tawook, shish kebabs, and kofta.
Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 604mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1206IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg