No Alcohol Tiramisu.
A classic Italian dessert made with no alcohol and no raw eggs is involved.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 8 large egg yolks.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional.
- 1 1/3 cup sugar.
- 1 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese room temperature.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream.
- 3- 7 oz packages Italian Ladyfingers cookies Savoiardi.*
- 1 1/2 cup espresso/coffee freshly brewed .**
- Cocoa for dusting.
Start by making the espresso and leaving it to cool to room temperature.
In a deep bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar and vanilla if using, on top of a water bath. Stir and keep cooking for 10 minutes.
Remove mixture from heat and stir for another 2-3 minutes until mixture is not grainy and have a pale yellow color.
In a separate bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese for a minute then pour in the whipping cream and beat until hard peak forms.
Gently fold in the egg yolk mixture until everything is well combined.
Dip the cookies one at a time in the espresso to get them wet and arrange in a 13x9 dish to form one layer.
Spoon almost one third of the cream mixture and level the surface.
Repeat dipping and arranging the rest of the cookies to form the second cookies layer.
Spoon another half of the cream mixture and level.
Fill a piping bag with the rest of the cream, cut the tip and pipe domes on top of the cream to get that fancy look.***
Cover and refrigerate 4 hours and preferably overnight.
Dust with cocoa powder just before serving.
* I’ve only found soft mini ladyfingers in grocery stores neat me and I’ve used 3 packages. If this is your case as well then you’ll need to Harden those before cooking by either arranging them on a baking sheet, cover with kitchen towel and let it air dry overnight OR heat your oven to 250F, then turn off heat and place the baking sheet and leave it there until they harden, took mine about 20 minutes.
** I’ve also used instant coffee and mixed 3 Tablespoons with hot water and a teaspoon of sugar then let it cool down.
*** If you do not want to make that fancy look, then make sure to add half the filling inside and half on top of the last layer, level then dust with cocoa after refrigerating.
Recipe adapted from Ask chef Dennise