Roasted vegetables in the oven
A mix of delicious vegetables richly seasoned with Mediterranean spices and caramelized to perfection.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sumac
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts cleaned and halved lengthwise
- 1 pound red or yellow potatoes diced into 1/2” cubes
- 2 medium zucchini ( 350g) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers red and yellow, cored, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (200g) , optional.
Preheat oven to 425F, place a metal baking sheet in the middle rack and let it heat up with the oven.
In a small bowl combine seasonings and mix well.
In a deep bowl combine Brussels sprouts and potatoes. Pour half the seasoning mix and toss well to coat the vegetables.
Spread the mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet trying to place the Brussels sprouts flat side down. Bake for 15 minutes.
While they are baking combine all other diced vegetables except for the tomatoes if using.
Add the remaining seasoning and mix to coat all vegetables well.
Take the tray out of the oven after the 15 minutes passed.
Add the other vegetables and mix everything well then pop in the oven for another 15 minutes.
Take the baking tray out and add the tomatoes if using mixing them with the other vegetables then return the tray to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Do not use a glass pan as they do not transmit heat right and you will not get your vegetables to roast nicely. Use metal pan and dark metal if possible to help with browning.
- Use a sheet pan that is big enough to hold your vegetables in a single layer , do not crowd the pan as this will make vegetable steam, not roast.
- Do not use low heat. If you are busy and thinking roasting vegetables at 350 or 325 will not make a difference, you are wrong. Low heat will cause vegetables to dry out before they get browned and your vegetables will be unevenly cooked. We need the high heat.
- Let the pan heat in the oven while it is pre heating, this helps with browning.
- Use any potatoes you have, peeled or not it is up to you. Brussels sprouts and potatoes need to be given a head start then add the rest of the vegetables. They need longer time to cook.
Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 461mg | Potassium: 719mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1612IU | Vitamin C: 110mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2mg