Servings: 16 scones
These rhubarb scones are bakery style, easy to make, buttery and perfect for any time of the day.
- 2 cups all purpose flour.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3/4 cup buttermilk milk.**
- 1 large egg.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1/2 cup frozen and grated unsalted butter.
- 1 1/2 cup rhubarb cut into small pieces.*
- 1/2 cup Confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Milk.
Set aside 2 Tablespoons of butter milk in a small bowl for brushing.
In a bowl, mix egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside.
In another bowl combine first 6 ingredients then mix well.
Add grated frozen butter and mix.
Add the rhubarb and mix well until everything is evenly coated.
Add the buttermilk mixture and mix with a spatula until flour disappears, the dough will be very sticky.
Dust a clean working surface with some flour and dust your hands as well.
Turn the dough into the floured surface and dust each side with about 1 Tablespoon of flour just enough to be able to handle the dough. Do not be tempted to increase flour.
Cut the dough in half and press each half into a 6 inch circle.
Cut each half into 8 wedges, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 20-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400F. Arrange two baking racks one on the upper third and the other on the lower third of the oven.
Take the scones out of the freezer , brush top with buttermilk and sprinkle some coarse sugar if desired.
Bake 15-20 minutes on the lower third or until the bottom starts to brown then move up for 5-10 more minutes or until top is golden brown .
Cool down and enjoy.***
* I’ve used frozen rhubarb, thawed them in a colander overnight but not squeezed, then cut them a little smaller.
** I’ve made my own butter milk, by combining 3/4 cup of milk and 1 teaspoon vinegar.
*** Preferably consumed in the same day. Scones can stay fresh at room temperature for a couple of days. They can also be baked then frozen, they keep well in freezer for 3 months.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3.8g24%
Vitamin A 250IU5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 149.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.4g | Fat: 6.3g | Saturated Fat: 3.8g | Sugar: 6.9g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Iron: 0.7mg
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors