Servings: 5 servings
Authentically spiced Middle Eastern chicken shawarma with all the tips and tricks for the perfect shawarma recipe.
- 1 (100g) Small onion, quartered.
- 5 (12g) Large garlic cloves.
- 1/2 (70g) Large red bell pepper .
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise.
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste.
- 1/2 cup (120g) plain yogurt.
- 1 teaspoon orange zest.
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
- 1/4 cup Orange juice freshly squeezed no sugar added.
- 2 Lemons juiced about 6 Tablespoons.
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper optional or add to your liking.
- 2 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- 3-4 chicken thighs skin.
Quick shawarma white sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise.
- ⅓ cup plain full fat yogurt.
- 1 Large garlic clove, minced.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
In the food processor add onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Pulse twice.
Add mayonnaise, tomato paste lemon zest, orange zest and yogurt then pulse until combined.
In a deep bowl, pour lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil and all the spices crumble bay leaves on top and mix.
Add the ingredients in the food processor and mix well.
Add thighs and toss to coat well.
Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or better overnight.
Preheat oven to 430F.
Divide chicken into two equal piles.
Fold one piece of chicken in half and thread it into two metal skewers. Repeat with the remaining chicken until you are done with one pile. Note1
Repeat with the second pile of chicken.
Choose a pan that is smaller than the skewers but can contain the drippings from the chicken while being cooked. Line with tin foil.
Arrange the metal skewers over the pan as shown above.
Place chicken skin over the skewers to cover chicken.
Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
Remove skin and brown the chicken for about 10 minutes each side.
Remove pan from oven, cover with foil, make a vent and let it set for 5-10 minutes.
Remove skewers and cut chicken into thin slices. Note2
In a small bowl. mix the sauce ingredients well
Serve with rice or as a wrap with white sauce, cucumber slices, thinly sliced ice berg lettuce, pickles, onion rings, hummus and much more.
Note1:You can also try layering chicken on wooden skewers that has been deeply inserted into a large onion ( or potato) with a flat side set on a baking dish. I saw this on a facebook video before that I could not find unfortunately. Worth noting that I've tried this method several times and it did not work for me.
Note2: You can also brown the sliced chicken more in a pan on stove top for more color.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 253
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5.7g36%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.7g
Monounsaturated Fat 15.4g
Vitamin A 770IU15%
Vitamin C 91.4mg111%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 28.3g | Fat: 28.1g | Saturated Fat: 5.7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15.4g | Potassium: 258.5mg | Fiber: 3.3g | Sugar: 4.8g | Vitamin A: 770IU | Vitamin C: 91.4mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 0.9mg
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors