Egyptian red lentil soup.
Super easy, healthy, filling and frugal recipe.
- 1.5 cups of dry red lentils rinsed and drained.
- 1 medium carrot peeled and cut in chunks.
- 1 medium onion quartered.
- 2 garlic cloves.
- Water to cover or water + stock.
Optional veggies to add
- 1 medium tomato quartered.
- 1/2 or a whole green/yellow/red pepper .
- a stick of celery.
- 1/4 c cut coriander.
- 1/4 c cur parsley.
- 1 small potato - for thickening the soup.
- 2 tsp of salt or to taste.
- a generous pinch of ground cumin.
Add all the vegetables in a deep pot, cover with water or water and stock, bring to a boil on medium high.
Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until all the veggies are done.
Let it cool, then blend in a blender or food processor for a smooth soup, for a more textured soup blend half or use an immersion blender.
Return soup to the pot and simmer for like 5 to 10 minutes until bubbly and hot.Season with salt and cumin powder.
Serve hot with crackers, pita bread, pita chips, tortillas ..... etc