Crockpot meatballs recipe. Syrian Kufta (Kawaj) is a a potato, tomato & minced meat bake, an easy weeknight dinner but this time it gets even easier with the slow cooker.
Syrian Kawaj recipe, is a recipe I’ve been making for years now without knowing its name!!. For me it was just a simple potato meatballs casserole that is swimming in tomato sauce, as simple as that. An easy recipe yet delicious 😋. Kids loved it, hubby loved it, I loved it so it was a win win recipe.
Until recently when I was searching for a Syrian recipe to make – as a tribute to this great nation which suffered, and still suffering a lot- and happily found out that my good old potato meatball casserole 😍 is actually of a Syrian origin.
We’ll start simply by mixing meat, pine nuts, parsley and spices.
Then form meatballs as big or small as you like.
Heat up a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Carefully place the meatballs in the pan. Allow them to get browned along the top and bottom.
Now arrange the meatballs,potato and bell pepper in a nice pattern, this is specially looks cool in an oven dish. Then cover with diced tomato.
Set it and forget it . The ease of this recipe is going to please you, my friends. A very delicious, kids approved easy weeknight meal. Serve with white or brown rice on the side.
I hope you’ll like this simple Syrian recipe. Please do not forget them in your prayers ❤️️. May peace prevail.
I’ll end this post by a lovely quote: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” Martin Luther King Jr.
Slow cooker Syrian Kawaj
- 1 ½ lb ground meat .
- ¼ cup pine nuts . optional
- ½ cup chopped parsley I used a combination of parsley and cilantro, optional.
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste.
- ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- ½ Tablespoon Arabic bahar.
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil.
For the slow cooker
- 1 large onion sliced.
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled, sliced
- Additional salt and pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes or 8 medium fresh tomatoes peeled and diced.
- ¼ cup water
- In a large bowl, mix the first 7 ingredients well and shape the mixture into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown the balls, not cook them just brown for about 2 minutes from all sides. Work in batches if necessary.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In your crockpot arrange onion slices at the bottom. then top with alternate meatballs,potato slice, and green pepper, alternatively.
- Mix diced tomatoes with salt and pepper and dumb in the crockpot.
- Pour the water over and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with white / brown rice, bread and a nice green salad.