Tender chicken breast, topped with a delicious lemony buttery sauce a family favorite no wine chicken francese.
his is a simple, easy, rustic and bright lemon chicken recipe that is for those of us who really like it tart and buttery and lemoneyyyyy. I like this recipe for so many reasons, it is easy, frugal, hubby ate it, kids ate it, I ate it and we were all happy and above that it looks and sounds fancy as well.
But hay, there is another story behind this recipe. This is not a story about chicken recipe, this is a story about overcoming your fears. Yep, overcoming butchering fears. My fears of hammering chicken breasts!!!.
I need to admit that I hated hammering those innocent chicken breasts and I was about to ask my butcher for chicken scallopini for this recipe. Instead, I took a deep breath and decided to do it myself. I have no issues in slicing, cutting eating chicken but I do not know why pounding is another thing.
When I put chicken breasts between two plastic wraps and getting them ready to be flattened, I HAD TO cover then with anything else that is not transparent so I cannot see them!!. I wonder why is that , may be something happened in my past life or may be in my childhood? I gotta ask mom about that.So here is to the new beginning , I hope so anyways.
So this is a story of overcoming kitchen fear and a new family favorite chicken recipe. With just a handful of ingredients, that you’ll probably have around, in under an hour, you’ll get a fancy looking and delicious chicken recipe. It is a win win that I’m thinking of making it in our next gathering and I am pretty sure everyone will love it.
It is really a mystery why this chicken is called french chicken although it does not have a french origin!! I’ve found so many recipe on the net, some used artichoke hearts along with chicken. Some dredge chicken in parm cheese as well before sauteeing, others added garlic to the sauce as well. But I’ve seen some people go really mad about these variations, so I decided to make it the original way as I do not want to mess anyone’s heritage for now.
So let’s see how we can prepare this dish.
First we’ll need to dredge, those amazingly and proudly and fearlessly pounded, chicken breasts into seasoned flour.
Then dip then into egg and milk mixture. Here is when others like to add parm cheese as well.
Cook them on both sides, they will smell heavenly.
Now deglaze the pan with some lemon juice, all recipes uses wine for this step but of course because we do not consume alcohol I just skipped this ingredient.
Add the stock to the pan, boil then turn off the heat and complete the sauce as directed below.
Absolutely delicious and very tender. Now I’ve included the standard amount of lemon juice in the recipe below, but for us I’ve almost doubled the amount. So before scooping the sauce, taste it for yourself and see if you want more lemon flavor or this is the just right for you.
I hope your whole family falls in love with this recipe like mine did. I have a feeling you’ll make it again and again. Until next recipe.. have a great cooking time.
- 3/4 cup flour.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter.
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced.
- 2 extra large eggs.
- 3 Tablespoon milk.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup lemon juice.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoon cold butter.
- 3 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine flour salt and pepper.
- In another bowl beat eggs with milk and a dash of black pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat heat olive oil and butter.
- Coat chicken breasts with the flour mixture,dip in egg mixture and cook on the skillet for about 2 minutes each side. We need the chicken to brown a little. Set aside.
- In the same skillet increase heat to medium high, add lemon juice and deglaze the pan.
- Add the stock to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the cold butter, keep stirring until the butter is melted and totally incorporated in the sauce. Add parsley and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- ladle sauce over chicken and serve with pasta or rice.
Need more chicken recipes? Here are some of the latest.