Bread rolls, soft, sweet, fluffy and are astonishingly easy. These Egyptian sweet bread rolls are a childhood favorite with a warm cup of milk.
Sweet rolls sprinkled with sugar are totally addicting. It is very airy from inside, sweet and golden from the outside. Shoreek is sold in every pastry shop in Egypt. Shoreek is one of the Egyptian signature pastry recipes like feteer meshaltet.
Shoreek is a sweet Egyptian bread rolls that will BLOW YOUR MIND!! especially if you have sweet memories with these rolls ❤️.
I remember eating them with a warm cup of milk during winter as a night snack or for breakfast, it gave me energy and helped me stay awake doing loads of - unjustified- home works back then. So whenever I see Shoreek, I remember those hard school days.
If you are a bread roll fan, this recipe is for you. You can do a lot with these rolls to take it to the next level. Think cinnamon, raisins, chocolate chips... etc. These bread rolls are very tasty on its own, but with some cinnamon or honey butter.. Oh my can you imagine!!
Sweet bread rolls : step by step guide
- Dry ingredients
In a mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Mix well.
- Adding oil
Pour oil over dry ingredients.
- Mixing Eggs
Beat eggs with vanilla extract and add to the mixture.
- Gradually add milk
Gradually add milk and knead well until a consistent dough is formed.
- Let it rise
Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise, then punch and let it rise again. I was taught to let it rise for at least 4 hours punching a couple of times in between. Some people though let it rise for only 1 hour and that's it. Please check recipe card for more on this.
Divide the dough into 6 equal parts. I used to divide it much smaller like probably 10 parts.
Roll like a rope and shape or braid however you like.
- Brush, sprinkle and bake
Mix the egg wash and brush each roll then sprinkle with granulated sugar. You can also sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if you like to. Bake until golden brown.
Bread rolls tips and tricks
- This recipe is really easy, it just needs time, the more time you give it, the better bread rolls you will get.
- You can make it with all butter or half butter and half oil. Butter should be melted though. Traditionally only vegetable oil is used.
- Milk should be around 110F, I warm my milk in the microwave and use a thermometer or just dip a clean finger in it.
- I used to let it rise over the course of 4 hours, punching it every hour then cover and repeat. This time though, I left it to rise for two (2 hours) intervals.
- Try as much as you can to divide the dough into equal parts so it will bake evenly. Eyeball the dough or use a scale.
- When rolling a ball and shaping it, cover the rest of the balls with plastic wrap.
Serve warm with milk/tea or coffee. My kids love to mix room temperature butter with honey to eat with this bread.. soo good.
Other bread recipes we enjoy
- Yorkshire pudding... my kids' favorite with Labneh.
- Buttery dinner rolls.
- Egyptian mahlab bread.
- Skillet flat bread.
- Egyptian Simit.
- Buttermilk Biscuits.
Sweet bread rolls recipe
A fluffy and warm sweet bread bun with a cup of milk/tea or coffee is the perfect quick breakfast or snack to boost energy.
Sweet bread roll recipe (Egyptian Shoreek)
- 2 cups (258g) all purpose flour.
- 1/3 cup (60g) granulated sugar.
- 1 Tablespoon dry yeast.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 1 large 57gm egg.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) oil, or melted butter. Note1
- 3/4 to 1 cup (180 - 240ML) warm milk.
- Extra sugar for sprinkling.
- 1 large egg.
- 1 Tablespoon water or milk.
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract Optional.
- In a deep bowl combine dry ingredients well.
- Add oil or butter if using and
- Beat the egg with vanilla extract and mix.
- Gradually mix in the warm milk until you achieve a dough that is soft but not too sticky.
- Place dough on a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let it rise for two hours or until doubled.
- Punch the dough, cover and let it rise for another 2 hours. Note2 and Note3
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts, roll each part into a ball. Note4
- Shape each ball into a rope, then shape them tucking the end under.
- Place the rolls in a baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Brush the rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes checking them after 12 minutes until they are golden brown.