Enjoy the sweet and earthy flavors or fall with this simple fresh pumpkin jam. With just few ingredients you'll not only end up with jars of homemade jam but also your home will smell heavenly.
Next time try this watermelon rind preserve, so easy.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- A great way to use fresh pumpkins.
- An easy way to enjoy pumpkin flavor all year!
- Easy to follow jam recipe that is safe to say beginners level.
- Homemade jams are great last minute gifts.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Grate or dice your pumpkin and place in a saucepan.
- Mix in all other ingredients and turn heat on.
- Cook on medium-high heat until it starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until pumpkin is completely cooked.
- Homemade pumpkin jam will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. If you forgot it on the countertop it might be good for just two weeks, so check before consuming
👍 Amira's Tips
- For a chewier jam dice the pumpkin and do not grate, you will end up with nice chunky pieces of candied pumpkin in syrup.
- You can also use a mixture of shredded and cubed pumpkin.
- Do not use carving pumpkins for this recipe, sugar pumpkin and butternut squash works great for this jam.
📣 Related Recipes
- Enjoy this delicious and simple cream cheese frosting on your favorite cakes, cupcakes and cinnamon rolls. An easy cream cheese frosting recipe that can be adjusted to your own liking.
More Breakfast Recipes
- This hot dog bun recipe makes soft and fluffy buns perfect for holding your favorite hot dog or burgers. With simple ingredients enjoy freshly baked buns right from your own kitchen.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
- 2 lb pumpkin peeled and seeds removed.
- 1 ½ - 2 lb granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Anise star
- ½ a pod vanilla bean
- Dice the pumpkin into ½ inch cubes or grate them using a food grater.
- With a sharp knife, cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds.
- Place grated pumpkin, vanilla seeds, sugar, anise, cinnamon and lemon juice in a saucepan and mix.
- Place on medium high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the pumpkins are thoroughly cooked- keep stirring every now and then so it will not scorch.
- You can puree using a blender or leave it as is.
- Pour in sterilized glass jars and refrigerate.
- If you do not have vanilla pods you can use 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- I recommend not going lower than 1 ½ lb of sugar. Sugar is not only for sweetness it works as a preservative too.
- I do not use jelling agents much in making jams but if you want to you can use powder or liquid pectin and just follow the instructions on the packet.
- Use smaller sugar or pie pumpkin as they are usually more flavorful than a larger carving one.
- You can use butternut squash in this recipe too.
- This recipe makes about 3 (8oz) jars of pumpkin jam.
- Serve with: toast, bagels or breakfast biscuits.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Oct 22, 2015 . Last updated September 8, 2022 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.
👩🏫 My Experience
Sweet spread that makes you enjoy fall to the fullest, not very popular in Egypt but this is not the case in Tunisia and Algeria.
Everything screams pumpkin these days!!! from stores to the dentist from your neighbors with their scary jack-o’-lanterns to the ... you guessed it, the internet. Although I do not like going with the flow- I do not know from where I got this habit-, I've decided to make a few exceptions here and there.
According to my new content manager ( my oldest), he suggested that I should make something with pumpkin this time of the year. Driven by the idea that I do not want to let him down and to make him feel his ideas are worth listening to, I've decided to go with the flow.
Pumpkin is not very popular in the Middle east specially Egypt, the only pumpkin recipe that is really popular there is this pumpkin with bechamel recipe .
My mum made it for us once when we were little and I've been searching the recipe since longtime. my memory of it is it was golden , like yours and I'm so eager to try it. thanks a lot
I laughed when I read that your son is your content manager 🙂 My 4 year old son is my photography director 😉
How sweet !!! Don't you just love their excitement 🙂
My hubby only likes pumpkin in pie. But I'd love to sample your lovely jam and keep it all for myself 🙂
It looks quite tasty Amira! Never heard of it but I love pumpkin so I might try. Perfect seasonal recipe...
How lovely! I've never heard of pumpkin jam but it looks so pretty. Everyone in this house loves pumpkin but we normally have it in a roast! I should be more adventurous xx