Reggi is watermelon in the gulf area specially Iraq and Kuwait.. this super easy preserve is made from watermelon peel !! so it is a real something from nothing as Karen says.
Are you following what is going on in Iraq?!! This is crazy don’t you think so? It has been crazy over there since the 2003 war . I have some friends there telling me that Iraqi people have not find peace since the war. Now, with what’s going on there, I feel there has been great efforts to wipe up this beautiful country’s history and heritage.
Food was and will always be part of any country’s heritage and Iraq is not difference. I wish there is a better way that I can help people there, but for now I only have this way to help them keep their food heritage and their identity from being theft. In the face of this increasing danger it is sort of FIGHTING FEAR WITH FOOD.
I am not a jam aficionado and I do not make much homemade jams or preserves, but when I saw this I knew I had to make it. It is a very creative way to use your watermelon peel instead of throwing them, so next time you enjoy a watermelon I hope you’ll try this out.
I hope you’ll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! Don’t want to miss a recipe?
Sign up for the FREE Amira’s Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Watermelon Peel Jam
- 4 cups of prepared watermelon rinds.
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 cups sugar depending on your liking.
Flavors to use: ( use any one or more of the following)
- , 4 whole clovesJuice from 1/2 lime and zest, a dash of vanilla, 4 whole cloves, cinnamon stick.
- To prepare the rinds, first trim the green part
- Use a sharper knife but take care
- It is ok to leave some of the red flesh
- Then dice into smaller pieces
- Cover with water
- Cook on medium until it boils then reduce heat
- until rinds are translucent
- checking and stirring often
- Until soft and check the water level
- 1Add the flavors of your choice
- 1I’ve also added drops of lime juice
- 1Add the sugar
- 1Let it dissolve on low until thickened
- 1Prepare and sterilize jars
- 1After filling the jars, turn them upside down
- 1for 10-15 minutes to seal