Reggi is watermelon in the gulf area specially Iraq and Kuwait.. this super easy preserve is made from watermelon peel !! so it is a real something from nothing.
Are you following what is going on in Iraq?!! This is crazy don't you think so? It has been crazy over there since the 2003 war . I have some friends there telling me that Iraqi people have not find peace since the war. Now, with what's going on there, I feel there has been great efforts to wipe up this beautiful country's history and heritage.
Food was and will always be part of any country's heritage and Iraq is not difference. I wish there is a better way that I can help people there, but for now I only have this way to help them keep their food heritage and their identity from being theft. In the face of this increasing danger it is sort of FIGHTING FEAR WITH FOOD.
I am not a jam aficionado and I do not make much homemade jams or preserves, but when I saw this I knew I had to make it. It is a very creative way to use your watermelon peel instead of throwing them, so next time you enjoy a watermelon I hope you'll try this out.
Watermelon Rind Jam
- 4 cups Watermelon rinds
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Juice of one lime
Flavors to use: ( use any one or more of the following)
- 4 Cloves
- Lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- To prepare the rinds: first trim the green part using a sharp knife, it is ok to leave some of the red flesh in.
- Dice into smaller pieces then cover with cold water. in a medium saucepan.
- Cook on medium until it boils then reduce heat until rinds are translucent.
- Cook until soft checking the water level frequently.
- Add lime juice, sugar, and the flavors you are using.
- Keep cooking on low until it thickens.
- Carefully spoon the jam into sterilized jars.