Cream cheese frosting is the go to frosting for many classic desserts. Carrot cake, pumpkin and red velvet cake are all better topped with this smooth and creamy frosting. Try this 4-ingredient simple cream cheese frosting recipe and you'll never reach for the store bought again.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- A very simple recipe using only 4 ingredients.
- Quick to make in few minutes, my go-to recipe for frosting many baked goods.
- Great with almost any sort of cakes, cupcakes, cinnamon roll or even for topping your fruit salad.
This creamy cheese frosting recipe has been in my favorites file for probably 15 years now. I've used it on every carrot cake and cinnamon rolls I've made and it has been a hot with my family. It is freezer friendly too.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- Cream cheese, use a block of good quality full-fat cream cheese frosting such as Philadelphia. Make sure it is at room temperature for a fluffy cream cheese frosting.
- Powdered sugar is a must for this recipe do not use regular granulate sugar.
- Vanilla extract, if possible use non alcoholic one.
- Unsalted butter left for 30-45 minutes outside the fridge. Softened butter is a must to get the perfect consistency.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese with butter then cream using a handheld mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- Add vanilla, a dash of salt and beat again until mixed.
- On medium-low speed, gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
- It is important to sift the powdered sugar to make sure you won't get a lumpy frosting.
- Start with 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar then check consistency. Add up to 2 more cups, 2 tablespoons at a time and recheck. Note that adding more sugar makes your frosting stiffer and sweeter.
- Do not leave the butter out for too long as this might make your frosting unnecessarily too soft, 30-45 minutes is a good time frame.
- If you feel that your frosting is softer than what you like it to be yet do not want to add more sugar, you can refrigerate the frosting in the piping bag for about 30 minutes.
- Leftover cream cheese frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Take it out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes then whip again before using.
- Cream cheese frosting can also be frozen for up to 1-2 months but I prefer one month. Defrost in the fridge, then take it out for 10-15 minutes then whip again before using.
Place cream cheese frosting in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1-2 months.
Butter gives frosting a delicious desirable buttery taste, however adding shortening provides structure and makes your frosting holds its shape and not melt or separate in warmer temperature.
📣 Related Recipes
- Add a touch of richness to your dessert with this easy 10-minute easy hot fudge sauce recipe. Made with simple pantry ingredients this sauce is decadent over ice cream, brownies and much more.
- Sweet and rich with strawberry flavor this Strawberry Coulis (sauce) is the perfect, quick and easy condiment for your ice cream, cheesecake and more!
- Cherry Sauce is a sweet, thick and syrupy condiment that can be used as a topping for ice cream, cheesecake, pancakes, or as a glaze for any recipe you like.
More Frosting Recipes
- Best fluffy marshmallow frosting recipe, easy to make with a handful of ingredients. This is the perfect frosting for cakes and cupcakes.
- Chantilly cream is a delicious and versatile dessert topping that is essential to learn and easy to make at home.
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
Cream cheese frosting
- 1 (8 ounces) block cream cheese room temperature.
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 - 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A dash of salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese on medium speed until well combined.
- Add vanilla, salt and beat again until mixed.
- Gradually mix in the confectioner’s sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
- Start with 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar then add up to 4 cups depending on how stiff and sweet you need your frosting to be. I usually stop at 2 ½.
- For more tips and for storage check the post above.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.