Easy baked sea bass recipe for when you want a quick and simple weeknight dinner. Mix everything in a bowl, spread over your fish and stick into the oven, you don't even need to watch over it.
Meaty sea bass covered in a flavorful Mediterranean mix and baked in a tin foil. If you are looking to add more fish to your diet this is a great recipe to add to your repertoire.
Baked sea bass
I went to the Asian market to get some Tilapia to make pan-fried tilapia, and I saw they had some sea bass which I have been longing to try in a recipe. The vegetable mix in this recipe is what we usually add to make a Sinagri fish recipe in Egypt.
Singari is a way of cooking a fish where it is opened and cleaned from the backbone and not the bottom. If you want to give your fish a Singari look then ask your fishmonger to cut it open along the backbone.
What goes in the recipe
How to make baked sea bass
- In a medium bowl add lemon juice, olive oil, bell pepper, spices, diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, and cilantro.
- Mix everything until very well combined.
- Place the clean fish on a piece of parchment paper on top of another piece of foil. Wrap the foil around a fish from all sides. Sprinkle fish with salt and cumin.
- Spread the vegetable mix over the fish then bake in a 350F preheated oven until flaky.
Tips and tricks
- If you cannot find sea bass go for any mild white fish. I've seen many make this kind of recipe with mullet and tilapia. You might as well try it with fillet just make sure to adjust cooking time.
- Play around with the herbs and veggies used. The ones stated here are the most common in Egypt but you can use shredded carrots, dill, parsley, and chives.
Do you wash sea bass before cooking?
Yes, I do. Before placing the fish on parchment paper, rinse the fish with cold running water to remove any blood, then pat dry.
What is a good side dish with sea bass?
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
Baked Sea Bass
- 1 (150g) medium onion.
- 2 large garlic cloves.
- 2 (280g) Roma tomatoes.
- 1 (160g) green bell pepper.
- 3 Tablespoons (5g) cilantro, chopped. Note1
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice juice of one lime, you can use lemon juice as well.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil. you can use extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon coriander.
- More salt and cumin to sprinkle over the fish.
- 2 pounds sea bass cleaned and cut to be flat.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a baking dish or sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut another aluminum sheets large enough to hold your fish ( one for each fish you have).
- Cut parchment paper as large as the foil we just cut for each fish you have.
- In a medium bowl combine the first 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Rinse the fish and pat dry.
- Place each parchment paper in one of the aluminum foil.
- Place each fish on the parchment paper. Sprinkle some salt and cumin over each fish.
- Divide the vegetable mix between the fish you have and press lightly.
- Bake in the middle of your oven for 25 minutes, then move up in the upper rack and cook for another 5-10 minutes until lightly charred.