When you think of Moroccan, Algerian or Tunisian food , the term tajine always pops up. Tagine is simply a heavy clay deep oven dish that we call "Tagen" in Egypt.
So let's make a simple version without the need of the real tajine 🙂 I know most of you do not have it.
- 2 tbs of olive oil.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts cut in think stripes - use whatever handy bone in or boneless, breasts or thighs whatever works best for you and your family.
- 1 medium onion, diced.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- salt to taste.
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup - according to your liking- dried cranberry/raisins.
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts. I've used a mixture of pine nuts and almonds.
- a bag of stir fry vegetables.
- 1 1/2 cups of couscous.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the oil then saute half the onions and garlic, add the chicken and cook until golden brown.
- Take the chicken out, then add the remaining half of the onions and garlic, saute, add the salt,pepper,cinnamon,cardamom, cranberry and cloves, mix well.
- Add your vegetables , reduce heat then return the chicken again. Cover and simmer until it is done.
- Prepare your couscous according to package directions. Fluff with fork and mound on a platter.
- Top with the vegetable-chicken mix and garnish with nuts.
Very healthy, very easy, very elegant and above all very tasty 🙂 . Enjoy.