Kishk, is a famous dish that is prepared differently according to each country. In Egypt there are 3 different ways of preparing it – or at least 3 that I know of – depending on the region you are coming from. I am from Cairo, the capital, and this is the way I used to see mom and even her mom do it.
You will need:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour.
- 1 cup of plain yogurt.
- 1/2 cup of milk- any % will do.
- 5 cups of chicken broth – you can make it with chicken bouillon.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- a dash of cinnamon.
- 1 cup of diced onion – about 1 whole big yellow onion.
To make the Kishk:
- Mix the flour,milk and yogurt together in a bowl and let it set for 2 hours.
- Boil the broth, adjust the salt,pepper and cinnamon then add the flour mixture and whisk vigorously until it thickens and forms something like pudding.
- In a skillet over high heat, brown the onion in about 5 Tbs of vegetable oil.
- Pour the mixture in a plate and let it cool, then garnish with the brown onions.
- It should be eaten cold -some people prefer to cool it in the fridge before serving – with pita bread.
Try it and tell me what do you think.