Baton Sale or bâton salé is sort of salty stick snack item that is very buttery and delicious. It is very common in Egypt and it is used to be served at birthday parties along with other salty baked goods.
Our version has a nice warm flavor coming from cumin seeds. You can make it with caraway or Nigella seeds, but I've made it the traditional way with cumin seeds.
📝 Recipe Ingredients
- All-purpose flour.
- Butter or ghee.
- Salt, sugar, yeast and cumin seeds.
- Warm water for the dough.
Start by adding all the dry ingredients together then melt the butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Slowly add water until you get a firm dough. Moisten your hands with some oil or butter then take a small ball of the dough and roll into thin long - 4 to 5 inch- sticks.
Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 400F oven. You can brush it with egg wash if you would like a more shiny look.
Very very delicious .... aaahhhhh reminds me so much of the good old days :). I miss you mom ♥♥.
- This ricotta cheese recipe is simple, inexpensive, and delicious. Add your favorite herbs to the cheese for extra flavor. Irresistible!
- This meat pie is flaky and buttery using phyllo crust and a delicious ground beef filling seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices. Vey easy to make and a crowd pleaser.
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
Baton Sale (French salted bread sticks)
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup butter or ghee melted.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon dry yeast.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons warm water.
- preheat oven to 400F. Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, salt, cumin seeds, sugar and yeast. Mix well.
- Pour butter over and mix.
- Gradually add warm water and knead well until a firm dough forms.
- Moisten your hands with some oil or butter, then divide the dough into 40-50 small balls, then cover the balls with plastic wrap.
- Take the first ball of the dough and roll into a thin long - 5 to 6 inch- sticks.
- Place stick on the baking sheet and proceed with the rest of the dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- You might want to roll the sticks in sesame seeds, Nigella seeds, sea salt flakes or more cumin seeds.
- Cumin is common in baton sale, but skip it if you want to and use anise seeds or Nigella seeds.
- You can brush sticks with egg wash if you would like a more shiny look.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published March 2014. Last updated July 15, 2021, with important tips, clear step-by-step instructions, and readability.