I know, you know better by now and I cannot trick you anymore ;). This is one of the famous goulash you can ever find in the Middle East, it is always there as a side dish in almost each and every occasion.
Raef is a singer who sings what i call “clean music” , I can totally leave my kids watching his videos without any worries of what they will see or hear. They were very thrilled to see him, specially my 5 year old ,Galal.
He kept on asking about him for the whole concert as his part came last, and just when he was about to fall asleep, Raef showed up and you can never imagine the smile on his little face and the excitement that he felt.
There was this special song that Galal loved as we sing it almost everyday going to school in the morning, dream, so to my surprise, my little one found the courage to go up on the stage and ask him for that specific song.
Unfortunately, the song was not on his schedule and he was really running late, so Raef was unable to sing it for him on stage, but he promised him to sing it after the concert … and frankly I thought this will never happen and he will get caught up with all his fans.
To my/our surprise, he really did leave his fans, got his guitar and fulfilled his 5 years old fan’s wish. He actually sang the song specially for my boy .
Galal was so embarrassed that he could not sing along not even a single word, but really, imagine this little guy standing next to his beloved singer and with all these camera flashes, people looking at him and cheering for them both, poor thing his little heart must have raced as if he was running a marathon hahaha.
A BIG thank you to Raef, who did not turn his back to his little fan, now we wake up and sleep on his songs :). We really did enjoy the concert with all its parts specially Omar Regan who cracked us up with his hilarious jokes about Muslims and the Arab countries.
It was a fun night for the whole family with a noble cause. The only problem I have right now is that my home is, suddenly, filled with singers and they all want to take guitar lessons :/.
Back to today’s recipe, it is one of the famous Egyptian , and Middle Eastern side dishes. It is there in almost every banquet and gathering, Ramadan iftar table, Eid dinners and even birthdays and gathering of family and friends.
My kids love it so much specially my sweet little courageous man, and you know what I can stuff anything in between those buttery layers and he will gladly munch on them. I would be very satisfied if he took a couple of those along with some green salad and call it a complete meal.
Sometimes I add some veggies along with the ground beef, celery, peas, small diced beans, spinach …etc, just do not spread the news and they will eat these delicious squares and ask for more. I hope you’ll try this recipe this season.
Now, I’m going to leave you with the visual and written recipe.. Enjoy your weekend.
Ground beef goulash (phyllo pie)
- 1 lb ground beef.
- 2 Tbs olive oil.
- 1 medium onion chopped.
- salt and pepper.
- 1 package of phyllo sheets.
- 1/4 c of butter melted – you can use butter spray if you like.
- 1 cup of milk.
- 1 large egg.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil then toss in the diced onion, stirring for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add the ground beef, salt and pepper and cook until browned, set aside.
- Brush- or spray- an oven safe dish with butter, take 2-3 sheets of phyllo dough and lay them flat on your dish, then brush with butter.
- Continue layering the phyllo sheets 2-3 sheets at a time and brushing them with butter until you are done with half the package.
- Add the minced meat. If you want you can cook any desired vegetables with the meat for added benefits such as, celery, peas, corn, small cur green beans…. etc.
- Take another 2 sheets of the phyllo cover the meat layer and brush with butter.
- Continue layering and brushing until you are done with the whole package.
- Cut into squares, then beat an egg into the milk, sprinkle some salt and pepper, then carefully pour into the dish, tilt the dish in all directions so the milk mixture will spread evenly.
- Bake in a 400F pre heated oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly, then serve warm.