Pomegranate dessert, rich and creamy yet tart and sweet. No bake pomegranate dessert cups that are perfectly sweetened and perfectly portioned.
Crunchy pomegranate seeds covered with a a sweet layer of strawberry jello with a rich layer of mildly sweet vanilla pudding underneath.
This dessert looks very festive indeed and perfect for parties and gatherings, the use of pomegranate seeds is perfect with strawberry jello. The seeds provide both crunch and tartness to these cute little cups.
Two of my kids love rice pudding and vanilla pudding, or as we mostly call it in Egypt, Muhalabeyah. They were thrilled to see these little ramekins on the counter top. I thought they will not be willing to try it as it has pomegranate, but I was wrong.
As a kid, I did not like pomegranate at all, I did not like its tartness and I did not like its crunch. Ironically, these two factors are what makes this simple dessert so unique!!
It looks fancy, it tastes good. Let me show you how to make and love it... I hope.
We'll make the vanilla pudding first. Sweeten the milk to you taste, it is better to use whole milk though so the pudding is rich and creamy. I've used ⅓ cup of sugar for the 2 cups of milk, so start by ¼ and taste the milk until you reach the perfect sweetness.
Dissolve the cornstarch in cold milk then add it to the hot milk in the pot. Keep stirring until it thickens. Remove from heat and pour into individual serving cups or small ramekins. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Make the jello layer by dissolving the powder in a cup of hot water then add another cup of cold water. Take the ramekins out of the fridge add pomegranate seeds then top with the jello.
Now refrigerate for a couple of hours or until jello is set. Garnish with some whipping cream and more seeds if desired.
Simple. Amazing. Lusciously fabulous. Hope some of you get a chance to try them!
My little one, who does not like puddings at all, ate the jello part with the pomegranate and left the pudding for me to finish up :).
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Pomegranate Dessert; Mini Vanilla Parfaits
- 2 cups whole milk.
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar or to taste.*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- ¼ cup corn starch.
- 1 (3oz) package strawberry jello.
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds.
- Whipping cream for garnishing.
- In a saucepan over medium heat pour 1 ½ cup of milk, sugar and vanilla extract and mix well together until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Heat milk for 5-7 minutes until it starts to bubble around the edges.
- Meanwhile, mix corn starch well in the remaining milk then pour into the saucepan.
- Continue stirring and cooking the pudding until it thickens, will take about 1.5 minute.
- Divide the vanilla mixture into 8 (4oz) dessert cups or ramekins.
- Let it chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the packet in 1 cup of boiling water then add 1 cup of cold water and mix everything well.
- Take the ramekins out of the fridge, put about 2 heaping teaspoons ( more or less if you like) of pomegranate seeds on top of the vanilla pudding.
- Now pour the jello carefully over the pomegranate, refrigerate for two hours or until jello is completely set.
- Serve cold with whipping cream on top.