Basbousa,one of the best semolina dessert in the Middle east. A one bowl dump semolina cake kind of recipe, sweet and soft.
One of the ” still a mystery” kind of recipe for me in the basbousa, I’ve tried many recipes and shared some with you for basbousa. This was my first basbousa recipe to make, then I’ve tried another Basbousa recipe which is now my favorite.
I’ve also tweaked it a bit in this rolo basbousa which my kids loved so much.
Still what I come up with is a good basbousa but never like the one we have in Egypt, but I will not stop trying, I promise.
My favorite kind of recipes are the easy one bowl dumb and go recipes :). Most of the dessert recipes specially, the Middle Eastern, are easy but not that easy except for basbousa. You just put everything in one bowl mix, pour in an oven dish and bake. After it is out, time to drizzle with syrup.
What makes this new type of basbousa cake super delicious is that we make the basbousa, then you take cream and make lines to form squares. These lines of cream when baked, produces a very nice flavor to add to all the deliciousness of this dish. Let me show you.
Mix eggs, vanilla, sugar, oil and cream together.
Until they are well incorporated.
Add all the flours along with baking powder. Pour in a baking dish
Scoop about half of another can of table cream in a sandwich bag, trim the tip of the bag to use it as a piping bag. Draw vertical and horizontal lines as the picture above.
Bake until golden brown then drizzle with simple syrup. Cut into squares and serve. Sooo delicious.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira’s Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Basbousa cake with cream
- 2 eggs.
- a dash of vanilla powder or a tablespoon vanilla extract.
- 3/4 cup sugar.
- 1 cup coconut flakes.
- 1/4 cup oil.
- 1 can (7.6oz) Nestle table cream.
- 1/2 cup semolina flour.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 - 1.5 cups simple syrup.
- Pistachios or any preferable nuts , optional.
- for decoration:
- 1/2 can (7.6) Nestle table cream.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a deep bowl, mix first 6 ingredients well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to the egg mixture then add the semolina mixing everything well together.
- Butter a 13x9 baking dish and pour the mixture in, then level.
- Scoop as much as you like from the table cream in a sandwich bag, cut off the tip to form a piping bag.
- Carefully make horizontal and vertical lines along the pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Pour the hot simple syrup over the cake and cover with foil.
- Let it set for a while to soak the syrup and cool down.
- Cut along the cream lines you’ve drawn on your cake.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and serve.
You might also like: