Uniquely smoking aroma and a nutty, roasted taste,this is what you'll get with every spoon of this healthy freekeh soup.
Next time try this freekeh pilaf.
You promise yourself every January that this will be the year you'll get in shape, exercise and eat healthy. But by February jumping on a treadmill and making healthy dinners at home seems like a chore!!!! Does this sound familiar?
To help you- and myself- get a head start on your resolutions, I am introducing this ancient Middle Eastern whole grain, that is packed with nutrients, and it seems to be the new darling for many nutritionists.
Freeka is made by harvesting young, green wheat then roasting them, which gives a very nice flavor to every grain. It is common in Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Palestine and Jordan. This delicious soup, I have got from a Palestinian friend who likes to add some veggies to it too but I've just made it plain this time.
In this soup I've used whole freekah but you can pulse them a little in your food processor, as my friend does. Somehow I wanted to taste the whole thing and enjoy its full flavor so I went with the whole freekah.
You can use any kind of stock you like, here I have used chicken stock.
I've got the Freekeh from the Middle Eastern market, but I have heard that Whole Foods market, other health store , Ross department store and Costco sell them in bulk. You can find it in amazon too.
I do hope that you'll try it and tell me what do you think?
For all my readers and fellow bloggers, I hope this year will have only good news and happiness and that all your dreams come true. Enjoy the rest of the week.
Let me show you how to make it
Wash freekeh thoroughly and soak in water for 15 minutes.
In a pot add oil and saute onions until fragrant, add freekeh and roast for 3 more minutes. Now pour the stock and bring to a boil. Adjust salt and pepper to your linking. Reduce heat and let it cook until freekeh is tender for about 25 minutes.
Here, have a bowl or two or may be three of this delicious freekeh soup and feel good about yourself.
You can add vegetables, diced cooked chicken for more of a whole meal soup. You can also bring the calories down by using half water half stock liquid.
- Chicken potato soup with tender potatoes and delicious chicken, this recipe is made in the Instant Pot.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 cup of freeka .
- 1 small onion - finely chopped.
- 4-5 cups of chicken broth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash freakeh thoroughly and soak in water for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan or pot, sauce onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until fragrant for almost 2 minutes.
- Drain freakeh and add to the pan. Stir to roast freakeh for about 3 more minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 more minutes until freaked is tender.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve warm .*