This Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice recipe is a delicious, meal that you can have on the table in no time. It combines classic fried rice flavors with tender pieces of chicken and colorful vegetables for a complete dinner that your whole family is sure to love.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It's a great way to enjoy this takeout favorite without leaving the house.
- You only need simple ingredients which means this recipe is budget-friendly.
- Even picky eaters will love this simple dish so you don't have to worry about making multiple meals.
The pressure cooker does most of the work which means that you don't have to worry about standing over the stove. Plus, this recipe can be on the table in about 30 minutes so it's perfect for busy weeknights.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Saute the seasoned chicken in sesame oil in the instant pot on saute mode.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, add the diced onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the water, scrap the bottom to remove stuck-on bites, and then cancel the saute function. Then add rice, chicken bouillon, and frozen vegetables. Place the lid on the pot, seal the pressure value, and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Once the pressure release time is up, stir in the scrambled eggs, and sauce mixture, and add salt and pepper. Garnish with sliced green onions before serving.
- I used jasmine white rice to make this recipe. If you use a different type of rice you may need to adjust the cooking time and water.
- If you have leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken that you want to use, skip the chicken step and just saute the onion and garlic. Add the cooked chicken at the end.
- I like to season the eggs with black pepper, however, you can skip the seasonings if you prefer.
- You cook the eggs in the pressure cooker first if you don't want to dirty up another dish. Just remove them and set them aside from the pot before you start cooking the chicken.
- If you prefer you can use olive oil and you can also use chicken broth instead of water.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
⌛ Make Ahead
My family prefers to enjoy this recipe when it's fresh. However, you can make it ahead and store it in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy it.
🍽️ Serve With
I love to serve this chicken fried rice recipe with a side of potstickers or eggrolls. However, you could also serve with this these Chicken Lettuce Wraps for a little more protein.
- For a vegetarian version, swap the chicken for tofu and use vegetable broth instead of chicken bouillon.
- For a spicier version, add red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce before serving.
- If you want meatless fried rice skip the chicken step and start with sauteing the onion and garlic.
- For ground beef fried rice, saute the beef and cook it all the way through instead of cooking the chicken.
The best way to reheat fried rice is in a non-stick skillet on the stovetop. Add a tablespoon of oil and heat over medium heat until hot. Then add the fried rice and stir it frequently until it's heated through. You may need to add 2-3 tablespoons of water to help rehydrate the rice.
No, you can use uncooked rice for this recipe. The pressure cooker will cook the rice while it's cooking the chicken and vegetables. Just make sure to use a long-grain or jasmine rice, as other types of rice may not absorb enough liquid in the pressure cooker.
Yes, I recommend rising the rice for this recipe before you add it to the instant pot.
📣 Related Recipes
- If you love making Chinese food at home next time give this Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken Copycat recipe a try. It's a great way to save money and make a restaurant favorite at home.
- Does your family love rice as mine does? If so, add this Lebanese Rice to your meal plan, it will quickly become a favorite side dish for your family.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- If you enjoy using your instant pot to make rice this Instant Pot Basmati rice recipe is the recipe for you.
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup is a warm and comforting dish done in minutes for a delicious warm meal. Tender chicken, rice and vegetables cooked in flavorful broth for the perfect dinner to warm you up.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon oil vegetable oil or any light tasting oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast 8oz - 220g, thinly cut
- 1 small onion 80g
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- ½ teaspoon powder chicken bouillon
- 1 cup Jasmine rice rinsed
- 1 cup water
- Green onion
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and water.
- Place chicken in another bowl, sprinkle with garlic powder, black pepper and pour in 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and 2 teaspoons of the sauce mixture. Toss well to combine and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Turn the instant pot to the sauté option and pour in sesame oil.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes stirring every now and then to cook all around.
- Add diced onion and garlic and continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add water scraping the bottom to get every bit unstuck.
- Cancel the saute option then add rice, chicken bouillon, and frozen vegetables mixing everything well and make sure rice is submerged with the liquids.
- Close the cover, push the valve to the seal position and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile on a non stick skillet placed on medium heat, cook eggs in the remaining vegetable oil . Set the scrambled eggs aside.
- When the cook time is done, Natural release the pressure for 3 minutes then do a manual release in short bursts. Carefully open the lid.
- Pour the remaining sauce mixture evenly and stir to fluff.
- Add in scrambled eggs, mix and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve garnished with sliced green onions.
- I’ve tested this recipe with only Jasmine rice other rice types might need you to adjust water or cooking time.
- You can make this rice with ground beef by browning it first then proceed with the recipe.
- You can also use leftover chicken but skip the step of cooking chicken.
- I like to cook the eggs with a pinch of black pepper so it is up to you.
- I also like cooking eggs separately on stovetop as this is quicker, but if you prefer you san start by cooking the eggs first in the instant pot then proceed with the recipe as is.
- Store leftover in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
- Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.