Garlicky and bold, this rich , easy aubergine recipe is fabulous for parties, serve it on toasted bread and your guests will ask for seconds.
Almost a year ago, my kids asked me to watch Dr Who series. I had no idea what is this show all about, so I headed to imdb and could not find the rating for this series and after a little search in the local library, I decided to hold the series from the late 60s and 70s just to be safe, if you know what I mean.
Brought the Dvds home and the kids were thrilled to watch, turning it on while they were having an after school meal, they gave me the "what the heck is this you brought us mom?!!!" look. My eldest said "This is so ridiculous" 🙂
For them to watch the old movie tricks, the green screen and the so obvious cinematic techniques and tricks, it was a real torture and a pain in the .... you know what. Those kids are way way ahead of me.
I remember watching my favorite shows in when I was a little kid like, The incredible Hulk OMG I remember how excited I was when he turns green , Knight rider was one of my favorites too, and Mark , probably was my first crush followed by MacGyver <3.
Probably my kids will give me that look again if they saw those series I am talking about. Anyways this is how my generation was and I am proud of that wheather they liked it or not ^-^. It is really amazing how fast technology is developing and I think I have to run fast to catch up with my kids.
Today's recipe is a traditional Middle Eastern appetizer with a healthier twist, to match with our speeding world, as we need to take better care of ourselves. My mom used to make this ages ago and still is, she used to make it for my late father as he loved eggplants a lot. My hubby likes it too and i hope one day my kiddos will, so for his sake and yours I'm not deep frying the aubergine, as the traditional recipe calls for, instead I'm trying a new way to cook my aubergine so as to make it as close as possible to the deep fried one.
- Baked eggplant slices are a healthy and flavorful alternative to fried eggplant. You can pretty much use any herbs, spices you like or simply use them in a keto eggplant parmesan recipe.
- Mediterranean Eggplant Salad makes for a delicious side dish or a meatless dinner. With its fresh veggies and tangy creamy dressing this salad is a delight to have any time of the day.
Eggplant Side Dish ( With Garlic and Vinegar)
- 1 lb aubergine.
- 1 Tbs minced garlic- about 3 large cloves.
- 1 medium green bell pepper- diced.
- 2 medium tomatoes- diced.
- 2-3 Tbs white vinegar.
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder.
- Salt to taste.
- Olive oil for brushing.
- 2 Tbs olive oil.
- Optional : Hot peppers for more flavor.
- Slice the aubergine and do not peel.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and place the aubergine slices 2-3 minutes each side without any oil yet until it is light brown.
- Brush the sides with olive oil and cook for one more minute or until it reaches the desired color.
- Set aside and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- In the same pan add 2Tbs of olive oil, then saute the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the diced peppers and tomato and stir for couple of minutes.
- Add the vinegar, salt and cumin, reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Layer the aubergine with the sauce in between and top with more sauce.
- Wait at least for 3 hours before serving so the flavors are well absorbed.
- Enjoy hot, cold or at room temperature over a toasted bread is recommended.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors