Homemade sloppy joes with a twist. Get your shawarma fix with this easy yet flavorful shawarma sloppy joes. A quick family dinner idea for those busy weeknights.
Homemade Sloppy Joes
As much as I hate to admit it but, we are getting closer and closer each day to the back to school season. It breaks my heart but we need to get practical and start looking for easy ways to put dinner on the table especially during this busy season. Not just putting dinner but make something that the kids actually will enjoy and devour.
My kids love ground beef, I do not know how or when did they develop such love for ground beef. If your family is the same then be prepared, you are in for a treat.
My mom and one of my sisters used to make these for kids especially for birthdays, we did not name them sloppy joes back then they just went by quick shawarma sandwiches. I've been making these a lot lately until I got satisfied by the spice blend which I hope will deliver the complexity of flavors but with a simple technique.
Why are they called Sloppy Joes?
After some reading here and there, everybody is talking about a chef named Joe in Iowa who did put some tomato sauce to his ground beef and voila, it became everyone's favorite.
What is Sloppy Joe sauce made of?
Sloppy joes are mainly browned ground beef/pork that is mixed with onion and simmered in a sweetened tomato/ketchup sauce.
What should I serve with sloppy joes?
Be smart and get creative, think outside the sandwich. How about serving sloppy joes over pasta, my kiddos love that option as well. Serve it over some fried with melted cheese on top. Sloppy joe pizza? or maybe baked sloppy joe cups with refrigerated biscuit or crescent rolls dough.
How to make shawarma sloppy joes?
- In a skillet over medium heat sautee onion until fragrant for about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and break apart to brown all over.
- Mix in the spices and adjust salt.
- Stir in vinegar and tomato puree.
- Add chopped parsley and mix everything well.
- Spoon mixture on toasted buns with white sauce, onion and tomato slices and enjoy.
Other weeknight dinners we enjoy
Shawarma seasoned sloppy joes
A super easy and quick weeknight dinner idea for the whole family to enjoy.
Shawarma Sloppy Joes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small (80g) yellow onion diced.
- 1 large garlic cloves. Almost 1 teaspoon crushed.
- 1 pound ground beef.
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar.
- 1 can (14oz) tomato puree.
- 3-4 Tablespoons parsley chopped.
- 1 teaspoon paprika.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander.
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves.
- ¼ teaspoon sumac.
- ¼ teaspoon all spice.
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamoms.
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Salt to taste
- 6 brioche buns toasted
- tomato slices onion slices for garnishing.
- White Shawarma sauce. Note1
- In a large skillet, add oil, onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef breaking it apart. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add spices and stir well. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add vinegar and tomato puree the continue to cook until sauce starts to evaporate and mixture becomes sloppy. This takes about 5-6 more minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Spoon mixture onto brioche buns, top with your favorite shawarma topping.