A saucy zucchini casserole with aromatic herbs is our perfect way to eat zucchini. A simple zucchini bake that mu kids have no trouble eating week long.
This zucchini bake is inspired by my mother in law, she got us hooked to this casserole and since then my kids started loving zucchini dishes.
A zucchini casserole that started my kids to love zucchini more than a decade ago and they still very much like this recipe. From my side, it is a win-win recipe. Easy, kids love it, healthy and has protein and veggies.
One day. I was in the international market and all of a sudden there was this soft tapping on my shoulder when I turned around there was a very sweet old Korean couple who approached me smilingly – reminding me of my sweet grandparents- and asking me what are these used for?. I went on explaining the Mahshi recipe , they were very interested in the recipe and kept writing it in details. After I went home, I remembered this very easy yet very delicious casserole that I’ve learned from my mother in law. It is one of my favorite ways to eat zucchini, you can add ground beef /turkey or omit it altogether.
Zucchini Casserole tips:
- Do not skip the dill: seriously guys, dill weed is what gives this dish its unique flavor. If you do not like dill and skipped it then there is nothing special about this recipe. It will still tastes good but not aromatic and will not give you the mahshi effect that we are looking for 🙂 .
- Use whatever meat you have or go vegan: my kids love this recipe with ground beef or meatballs(kofta). I’ve made it with ground turkey and chicken meatballs as well. You can skip it altogether and go totally vegan.
- Make on stove top: If you are short on time and want to speed this up, make it totally on stove top will take nearly half the time if not less. You can then pour it into an oven safe dish and broil the top a bit or serve it as is from the pot.
How to make zucchini casserole with ground beef:
- Brown the ground meat
Add oil to a non stick pan, saute onion and garlic then add ground beef, spices and stir until the ground beef is browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Assemble the dish
in a 13 x 9 oven dish, add diced zucchini, ground beef mixture, tomato sauce, parsley , diced tomatoes and half of the dill.
- Mix and bake
Mix everything well together, add beef stock. Check for seasonings then cover and bake until almost done. Add the remaining half of dill then continue to bake until fully cooked and bubbly. You can serve it as is or uncover and cook for 10 minutes more to evaporate some of the sauce.
Other zucchini recipes that we love
You might need:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Pyrex glass bakeware works fine everytime with this recipe, I highly recommend it.
Zucchini Casserole Recipe
The dill’s aroma will fill the air and make this dish an unforgettable one, Enjoy
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil.
- 1 medium (170g) onion, chopped.
- 1 pound (454g) ground meat.
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 pounds (908g) zucchini, sliced.
- 2 (208g)Roma tomatoes , cubed.
- 1/2 cup (23g) fresh dill, chopped and divided. Note1
- 1/3 cup (20g) fresh parsley, chopped.
- 1 garlic clove crushed.
- 1/3 cup (72ml) water or chicken stock.
- 1 can (15oz/425g) tomato sauce.
In a skillet over medium heat, add oil then sauté onion until translucent.
Add ground beef and break apart. Stir in all spice, pepper and salt and cook until beef is browned.
Pre heat your oven to 350F.
In a 13×9 oven dish add zucchini, ground beef, half the dill and the rest of the ingredients, check for seasonings.
Cover and place the dish in the middle rack in your oven until almost done about 45 minutes.
Uncover, mix in the rest of the dill, cover and bake again for 15 more minutes until all done and bubbly.
You might want to uncover and place in the upper third of your oven for 10 more minutes to reduce sauce or you can put it under a broiler.
Serve with white rice or pita bread.