Merchant's pocket is a seriously delicious, fried sandwich pocket stuffed with your favorite filling. Here is mine stuffed with ground turkey and veggies mix. Merchant pocket sandwiches are what you'll need for your next gathering.
Geeb el tager or merchant pocket is kind of fried bread recipe, filled with whatever kind of filling you like. Minced meat, ground chicken, leftover turkey, canned tuna, cheese, even go vegetarian with a falafel stuffing.
Many people make a special fluffy dough, that is left to rise, rolled, cut and then fried. Others, like me, go the easy route by using store bought bread. It is really very easy and a crowd-pleaser for sure.
Let's see how to prepare it.
First, prepare the filling, in a deep pot saute onion with veggies and ground turkey.
Add creamy cheese and mix, cheese gave the mixture a creamy texture and a rich flavor.
To prepare sandwiches, stack two bread slices on top of each other and flatten. Using a cup, small bowl press to mark a clear circle then cut with a sharp knife.
Dip in eggs then breadcrumbs
and fry until golden brown. Set aside and let it cool to handle.
Cut each circle in two halves to form two pockets, now stuff it as you wish.
I slathered mine with little mayo, added lettuce and then stuffed them with the ground turkey mixture.
It was crunchy and delicious, I haven't tried them in the oven in case you are wondering. I know we will jeopardize the taste a bit, but it will be much healthier of course.
Make it for your next party, you can even fry the sandwiches, prepare different kind of fillings and let everyone make his own sandwich.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Merchant Pockets Sandwich
- 3 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
- 1 yellow onion , diced.
- 1 lb ground turkey.
- 1/2 cup bell pepper , diced.
- 1 cup carrots , diced.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin , powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom , powder.
- salt and pepper.
- optional: 3 triangles of a creamy cheese , like the laughing cow.
- 1 packet of bread , sliced.
- 2 eggs.
- 1 cup bread crumbs.*
- Oil for frying.
- Your favorite spread , lettuce, tomato, cucumber for filling the pockets.
- On a pot over medium-high heat sauté onion in oil until fragrant, takes about 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, pepper, carrots and all the spices.
- Cook until completely done. Add the cheese, mix everything well and let it simmer for another 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs wee. Put the breadcrumbs in another bowl and season.
- Take two slices of the bread then try to flatten them a bit with your rolling pin.
- With a cup, a bowl or a big circle cookie cutter, cut a big circle of the bread.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Dip the bread in eggs, then bread crumbs and fry each circle until golden brown.
- Cut each circle of bread in half, this will give you two pockets to stuff.
- Place your favorite spread, I’ve used mayo, with a piece of lettuce then top with the turkey stuffing.
- Serve hot.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
You might also like