Fresh fruits take center stage in this decadent and creamy fruit salad recipe. An easy to make, creamy deliciousness made with only a handful of ingredients and 5 minutes of time.
Next time try this easy fruit salad with a delicious honey dressing.
A simple syrup, sour cream and table cream is mixed together to create a luscious cream. Berries are folded into this creamy base and top with fresh sliced fruit. It's a fun dessert for adults and kids.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- A no bake dessert ideal for summer picnics
- Great dish for parties made with simple ingredients
- Use fresh seasonal fruits
- A creamy fresh fruit dessert
- Kids love this sweet treat so it is great for family gatherings
Creamy fruit salad is a fun, easy, no bake dessert that comes together quickly. This is the kind of fresh fruit salad that screams summer, although delightful any time of the year. Light airy topping smothers tender and juicy fruit.
- Fruits: use your favorite fruit combination. Fresh strawberries is a must for us.
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a saucepan whisk together milk, sugar and cornstarch.
- Place the pot on medium low heat and heat up stirring constantly until thickens. Remove from heat mix in vanilla extract and set aside until it cools down.
- Whisk in sour cream.
- Place cut fruits in a large bowl, pour sauce over and gently mix.
💡 Expert Tips
- You can flavor the creamy mixture however you'd like. Some suggestions are vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, rose water ...etc
- Add your favorite kind(s) of fruits.
- This is a great recipe to use your favorite sweet fruit combination fresh or preserved sometimes I add fresh pineapple and maraschino cherries too.
⌛ Make Ahead
- Fruits can be cut up ahead of time, covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight.
- A variety of fruits can be used, raspberries, blueberries, give a try to blackberries, mandarin oranges, kiwi, or pineapple chunks.
- If you do not have sour cream you can use vanilla yogurt or plain Greek yogurt.
- Add shredded coconut, nuts or mini marshmallows.
- Flavor the cream sauce with anything you like think rosewater, orange blossom water, almond extract goes pretty well especially when using cherries .. etc
- How about mixing in some chocolate chips and drops of mint extract for the holidays?.
- Leftover fruit salad should be wrapped in an at container and stored in the fridge for up to 2 to 3 days.
Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are favorites, but you could also use mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks and sliced kiwi. Maraschino cherries are fun to use as well!
When choosing fruits choose fruits that will hold up like strawberries, blueberries. After washing fruit, be sure to pat dry with paper towels or let it air dry before mixing with the cream. Also, when storing in your refrigerator, cover tightly.
It is recommended to use fresh fruit in this recipe, however if it is not readily available, you could make this creamy fruit salad with canned fruit or frozen (thawed fully) fruit. For canned fruit, drain the liquid out before adding and for frozen fruit, let it completely thaw and drain before adding it to the cream. If it is not drained properly, it could change the color of the cream.
📣 Related Fruit Recipes
- Try this beautiful and delicious fruit trifle with layers of vanilla custard, fresh whipped cream, fruit, and soft angel food cake.
- This candy fruit recipe is called Tanghulu and it is one of the most popular Chinese snacks.
- Topping any fruit salad with this creamy marshmallow frosting is a kid's dream come true. Try it with cupcakes too so delicious.
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Mixing bowl.
Creamy Fruit Salad
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 ½ cups grapes
- 1 green apple
- 2 medium bananas
- In a medium saucepan combine milk, sugar and cornstarch. Whisk to dissolve cornstarch.
- Cook on medium-low whisking continuously until it thickens, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in vanilla extract and set aside for about 10-15 minutes or until we are done preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Wash fruits and cut into bite size pieces.
- Place fruits on a large mixing bowl
- Whisk the sour cream into the milk mixture.
- Pour the creamy dressing over the fruits and gently toss to coat.
- Serve at room temperature or chill before serving.
- You can use any fruit combination you like in this recipe.
- Storage: Store leftover in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Sep 6, 2016 . Last updated August 18, 2023 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.