Lancashire cookies and buttery, sweet and melt in your mouth cookies. Bite-sized sandwich cookies that are like little drops of heaven. Using sprinkles to cover the sides is optional but highly appealing.
We are almost there… the end of Ramadan is in few days. It always seems hard at the beginning of Ramadan then… days fly by and it is time to say goodbye to this precious and holy month.
After the last day of Ramadan comes the 3 days of Eid. Although Eid is the time to harvest all the rewards for your hard work of discipline during Ramadan, there is always something that breaks Muslims’ hearts at the first day of Eid, which is parting with Ramadan. Eid is also a great time for making memories with your kids. Vivid memories of mothers baking delicious cookies with neighbors are there in our heats and mind from our childhood.
For the Eid we prepare lots of cookies like Kahk, betefour, Ghorayeba and this Lancashire cookies. Lancashire cookies originated in the UK and seems it traveled to Egypt during the British occupation period and although I do not like occupations or whatever comes with it, I like these cookies so much that I might forgive a year or two of their 74 years of occupation :).
My kids liked these cookies a lot and the whole patch was gone in no time. These were great snacks for them at school instead of store bought ones.
Here is a short video to show you how to make these delicious cookies. Eid mubarak for everyone observing this great day. Enjoy the rest of the week.
I hope you’ll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! Don’t want to miss a recipe?
Sign up for the FREE Amira’s Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Lancashire Cookies Recipe
- 1 3/4 c unsalted butter- room temperature.
- 1/2 c confectioners’ sugar.
- 1/2 c corn starch.
- 2 c all purpose flour.
- 1 egg + a dash of vanilla powder.
- 1/4 tsp baking powder.
- Jam Nutella chocolate, ground nuts and coconut flakes for garnishing.
- In a bowl cream the butter.
- Until it gets white and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugarو egg and the vanilla and mix.
- Sift the flour, corn starch and baking powder.
- Gradually add to the butter and mix well each time.
- Until you get a nice, consistent dough.
- Form small balls, press lightly against the cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350F pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Stick every two cookies together with your favorite jam.
- Roll in ground nuts or coconut flakes.